Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all, I wonder if you can help me. I've taken down a light in my Dad's bedroom which was to be replaced with another. The issue we've had is that the wires coming through the ceiling are 2x red, 2x brown and 2x black. Does anyone know which ones are live, neutral and earth?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Loosen the switch and see if your lucky enough to have only 2 brown wires to the switch

See the wiki link at the top of forum on how light circuits work

Thanks for the reply Andy. wired to the switch is one red and one black. There's a green wire that runs behind the wall

So there's no red tape or sleeve on any black wire Then?

You need a multimeter to sort this!

And post a pic of the wires if you can

Sponsored Links
The two black wires are quite thick and so are the red ones. The brown wires are relatively thin in comparison. Not sure if you can see the picture very well, but this is how they were put in to the block to see if that worked, obviously not! That's the fatal mistake, not taking note of the wiring before disconnecting the original light. The original was like the long kitchen lights with the single fluorescent tube in if that makes any difference? An ordinary ceiling light is replacing this

So when you saw brown wires you mean bare copper?

You could try connecting the reds together

And then each black to the new light fitting L and N terminals

The 2 brown wires have a sleeve on them. They are just thinner than the black and red

I think I see what you mean. It was suggested the 'brown' wires were bare copper earth wires.

You mean they are simply thinner wires with brown INSULATION on them?

Send more pictures. That picture you sent doesn't seem to show wires with brown insulation.

Send more pictures as I think we are going round in circles.

They are just thinner wires with a brown sleeve. The 2 red and 2 black sleeves are a lot thicker. I don't have any more pictures as the light is at my Dads house and I'm back home now. It's basically 6 wires, 2 black, 2 red and 2 brown

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back