Ceiling Light

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that you put the terminal block on the wires. Or was that already there when you took down the old light?

PS Suggest he gets a plasterer in to sort out that ceiling, blimey! :D

Sponsored Links
The existing one split so we had to put a new one on. Does anyone know which wire goes where?

It's quite hard to see from the photo.
We are all confused about the "brown" wires.

The way that you have wired it, what happens when you turn on the switch. Does the lighting fuse/mcb trip?

As Taylor says, these 'brown' wires are confusing us.

Usually a cable consists of one red, one black, and one bare copper wire.

But, according to your description, you don't have this.

When you turn the light on the fuse blows. Would it be worth trying just the red and black and leaving the brown wires alone and see what that does?

There are no sleeves, brown or otherwise:

There are two T&E cables, each containing a black, red and bare copper conductor.

It is highly likely one of those is the supply and the other one is the switch.

The correct wiring is both reds together and not connected to anything else.
The two blacks connect to the light fitting, one of them is neutral, the other switched line.
The two bare wires are earth and require green/yellow sleeving on them. Both connect to the light fitting if it requires an earth connection, or in a separate terminal block if not.

I think I have found something similar.

twinearthold241.jpg

Well I never.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back