Ceiling lights, only 1 works??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically i have removed my existing ceiling rose, that could be turned on/off via a switch upstairs and down stairs. The 2 wires going into the old ceiling rose have been placed into the new spot light, from here i have fed the 2nd light, the second feeds the 3rd and the 3rd feeding the 4th.

BUT only 1 light works which is the one that has the upstairs and downstairs feeds going to it.

What have i done wrong!? :oops:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
Wired them in series and bulb no 2 is blown?

Wired in parallel...

Wondering whether 1 of the cable, eg: the one coming from the downstairs switch needs to be on the last light in the circuit and the opposite terminal to the first?

Sponsored Links
no. check all your connections, make sure you put all lives to live and all neutrals to neutrals on the new lights - to rule out the series theory. Make sure they are all tight.

tell us what cables you have at, ceiling light switch downstairs and switch upstairs then may be able to help

fireman22 said:
tell us what cables you have at, ceiling light switch downstairs and switch upstairs then may be able to help

Before it was 1 single wire from downstairs and 1 single wire from upstairs, each going to 1 end of the old ceiling rose.

Since the first light works you are looking for a bad connection (or cable) between the first and second lights.

in your first post you said you fed from this light to 2nd and 3rd etc so there must be more than just two cables coming from out of the ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back