ceiling pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am trying to replace a ceiling pendant that is on a two way switch on my landing, i have 3 black wires and 3 red. i put the red in the middle but on the diagram there are only 2 black. obviously there are the blue and brown that come with the pendant. i did try and put the spare black into what the diagram said was a loop connector but it went pop, any help out there?

Sponsored Links
The normal configuration would be:
* 3 blacks two which are neutrals and one which is a switch live (live coming from the switch, this should be identified by a red tag/sleeve but often not!)
*3 reds this are all live, one come from a previous fitting on the circuit, one goes to the next on circuit, the other feeds the live to the switch (where switch live, black sleeved red, returns this to the light as mentioned above)
* and three CPC/earth (this must be existing and tested to prove there is a path to earth if you are installing metallic fittings)

So:
* The two neutrals(blacks) go to the neutral blue side of lamp
* The switch live (black sleeved red) goes to the live brown side of lamp, this may need confirming, so a multimeter or an approved voltage indicator would be a handy instruments to have
* The three reds are all connected together in the live loop (this is not the live brown side of lamp) Some fitting supply a loop in live terminal, some don't. If the loop in live does not exist, then a terminal connection block is used.
*The CPC/earths go to the earth terminal of the fitting.

Hopefully that will resolve you issue and give you a little understanding on how some lights are wired up.

These diagrams maybe helpful
And looking here also
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back