Ceiling rose assistance (not wiring related!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I want to put up a polyurethane ceiling rose, but I don't want to lose the existing fitting. Do the slightly ornate versions have any space in the centre for wires etc?

In addition, I want to fit a 75mm rose to the polyurethane one, but not sure if I can screw into it? The light itself is very light, but still

Lastly, my other option is to buy a rose to fit on the existing fixture, here:

I can't seem to find one that is 100mm diameter, they seem to be 85mm everywhere I look

Did they change sizes or something?

Sponsored Links
You need to take off the existing electrical rose, poke the wires through a hole in the decorative rose, screw the decorative rose to the ceiling, then refit the electrical rose with screws through the decorative rose, plaster and into joists or a noggin.

Cheers Owain

The light that we're installing has a tiny rose, not even big enough to house the junction box that came with the light. See pic:

For this type of light, do I need to have all the wiring in the loft rather than on the ceiling of the bedroom?

Otherwise, I don't get it

I was only really looking at getting a decorative rose because I thought it would be an easy way to hide the existing wiring under it, but if that has to go outside of the decorative rose it kind of defeats the purpose [/img]

I just bought a decorative rose that has a cavity large enough so that I can stick it over the electrical rose - is that ok?

I read somewhere that this shouldn't be done because access to the wiring is required, but that a 'maintenance free' replacement for the MF rose should be used

Sponsored Links
Cheers Owain

The light that we're installing has a tiny rose, not even big enough to house the junction box that came with the light. See pic:

[/img]

That looks like it's intended to fit over a BESA box. You flush one of these into the ceiling (with decorative rose or not)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BXL.html

screw through it to a noggin, connect up terminal strip, then bolt the luminaire's plate to the BESA box with M4 pan head bolts

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MS4slash6.html

edit to add - you can put an ordinary pendant light ceiling rose over the BESA box at a later date if you want to.

I just bought a decorative rose that has a cavity large enough so that I can stick it over the electrical rose - is that ok?

I read somewhere that this shouldn't be done because access to the wiring is required, but that a 'maintenance free' replacement for the MF rose should be used

That supposes that you will never in the future want to change the light fitting without bringing down the plasterwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back