ceiling rose confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling rose in my hall-way (1 of 2) that both switch on and off via 2 seperate switches (I think they call this 2 way?). Anyway, I'm putting in a new light and didn't note down the wiring configuration. I have 4 cables coming through my ceiling (I'll ignore earths)... Two cables have Red, Yellow and Blue and two cables have just Black and Red. Can anyone help me understand how I connect these 4 cables together / into my brown & blue of my new light???

Sponsored Links
At each switch, is there just a single three and earth cable which consists of red, yellow, blue and earth?

At the second ceiling rose is there a single twin and earth cable which consisits of red, black and earth?

Whilst this fitting is disconnected and all wiring apart, do all other light fittings work (apart from the second ceiling rose in the hallway)?

many thanks for your speedy reply.... I'm on the case with your questions... give me a few minutes...

I've just got to nip out for a couple of hours.

If nobody else jumps in then I'll see if I can help you further when I get back.

Sponsored Links
Q. At each switch, is there just a single three and earth cable which consists of red, yellow, blue and earth?
A. Yes, just 3 (red, yel, Blue + earth). The blue wire has a small piee of red sleeve on it.

Q. At the second ceiling rose is there a single twin and earth cable which consisits of red, black and earth?
A. There are 2 cables at the 2nd ceiling rose. One cable is Red & Black. The other cable is Red, Blue and Yellow. Both cables also have an earth.

Q. Whilst this fitting is disconnected and all wiring apart, do all other light fittings work (apart from the second ceiling rose in the hallway)?
A. Yes, they all work except for the other ceiling rose.

All, I've managed to work my way through it and it seems to work... BUT CAN SOMEONE CHECK IT TO MAKE SURE I'VE NOT GOT IT WRONG - the lights work as expected by the way... (All earths onitted) Of the 4 cables coming through the ceiling... 1 is red & black: I've fed the Red (Live?) to the "Loop" terminal of the Ceiling Rose (CR) and the Black to the Neutral terminal of the CR. I've done exactly the same with the second red & black cable. I then had two cables each with Red, Yellow and Blue wires: I sent the Blue wire to the Neutral terminal in CR, Yellow wire to "Line" terminal in CR and Red wire to meet all the other Red wires in the "Loop" terminal of CR. I did exactly the same with the second Red, Yellow and Blue cable. The wiring in the 2 switches that operate th lights are: L1 Yellow, L2 Blue with Red sheath and Red common. The other switch is exactly the same. Does this sound right - or is my house going to catch-on-fire???

If your saying you connected all the blues as neutrals, then I cannot see how it all works ok.

A drawing of what you did may be better.

Do you understand how a 2 way switch operates internally.

i've done a picture but dont know how to upload it to this chat...

i've done a picture but dont know how to upload it to this chat...

Are both switches working independantly the same as they were working before you disconected anything?

If yes then I would say that you have made the right connections, but mucked up the explanation.

To upload your drawing you will need to scan it or take a photograph of it.

I'm pretty sure I've explained it right... I have a JPG of the diagram but dont know how to show it ..?[/img]

I've managed to work my way through it and it seems to work...

Kev Kev's Picture

Cannot see how that would work. :?:
I would suggest removing the blues from the neutral bar, untill you verify what they are.

I would say you need a connector in there!! by the previous explanation on what you have there. Get a 5a connector and connect the two reds from the 3 cores, this will continue the common between the two switches?? have done this before in a property where i couldnt pull a switch line down aswell as the 3core

Cannot see how that would work. :?:
I would suggest removing the blues from the neutral bar, untill you verify what they are.

I'm also confused. As I understand it theres (Kev, please confirm):

2 x 3c&e at ceiling rose 1
1 x 3c&e at ceiling rose 2
1 x 3c&e at switch 1
1 x 3c&e at switch 2

I would have made an assumption that the two 3c&e cables at the ceiling rose went to the two switches with both blue and yellow connected together. One red being switch live, the other being switch return.

Obviously this can't be the case as theres a 3c&e at ceiling rose 2.
Also, the 2-way switching wouldn't work and when switched the red and blue go BANG!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back