ceiling rose confusion

I would have made an assumption that the two 3c&e cables at the ceiling rose went to the two switches with both blue and yellow connected together. One red being switch live, the other being switch return.
The wiring in the 2 switches that operate th lights are: L1 Yellow, L2 Blue with Red sheath and Red common. The other switch is exactly the same.

Another option at the old rose, was the two blues were in the Loop, two yellows in the switch line and the two reds joined through.

As for the 3 core in the second rose :?:

Sponsored Links
All, I'm over whelmed with the help you're all giving me on this - it's restored my faith in human nature ! I'm moving house tomorrow (which was why I was removing the expensive light and replacing with a pendant)... I can't spend today working out whether what I've done is ok... but everything works as it should with no other lights un-duly affected and nothing buzzing or getting warm! It's working fine. From what you've all said, I don't have a standard wiring set-up... but it's working ok. Is there any danger in leaving it as it is lads?

Sponsored Links
according to your diagram you have two 2 core cables and two 3 core cables.

if you are certain it all works ok, can you confirm that;

1) a 3 core cable goes to the second light
2) a 3 core cable goes to a switch

this may have been wired in 3 core to provide;
1) a permanant live indirectly to the second light which may feed something else somewhere (like lights in another room)
2) a neutral at a switch (possibly a multiple gang switch feeding an outside light for example)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back