Ceiling rose/lamp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need some advice, I am new to all this, I think my problem applies to this but not sure: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

Ok, so I took of the ceiling rose form a light and it had three cables coming down from the ceiling, each with a black, red and green/yellow cable.
All three reds were together as were the green/yellows (earths, where as 2 of the black together were together and one wasn’t. So the new light has a choc block (I think it’s called) with a L, N and E. so am I right in thinking that all the reds cables go to the L, all the earth go to the E, and then this is where I get confused, do I put the lone black cable in the n or the 2 black cables? And either way what do I do with the other cables, just cover it in tape and leave it up there?
Or is the lonely black cable the L and should have a red sleeve?????
Hope this makes sense; let me know if you need more info.

Thank you in advance,
TJ

Sponsored Links
I'd imagine the black on it's own is the switch live and should have a red sleeve. This connects to the L terminal.
The two other blacks to the N terminal
All 3 earths to the earth terminal.
All 3 reds in an extra piece of terminal block together and to nothing else.

you put the two blacks that are together, which are neutrals in the N terminal
and the single black should be sleeved with red cable sleeving to indicate it is the switch live and be connected in to the L terminal.
The earths stay together in the E terminal and all the reds (this a loop connection) stay together in a seperate connector strip, you may need to buy one of these;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCON5.html
They can be cut to suit.

Sponsored Links
Cool thank you very much!lets hope it work the missus really want her lights back :)

so am I right in thinking that all the reds cables go to the L, all the earth go to the E, and then this is where I get confused...
No - you got confused before then.

What you're proposing to do is NOT what the diagram you were looking at quite clearly shows.

ban-all-sheds wrote:
Cptdogfruit wrote:
so am I right in thinking that all the reds cables go to the L, all the earth go to the E, and then this is where I get confused...

No - you got confused before then.

What you're proposing to do is NOT what the diagram you were looking at quite clearly shows.

Completly right, i didn't have a clue!!!!! but with teh help here i managed to do it so thankyou all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back