Ceiling rose strange wiring

Sponsored Links
That's standard ceiling rose wiring with 3 cables. Exactly what I would expect to see.

1. Cable L & N supply
2. Cable L & N to next light - connected to the same terminals as 1 above
3. Cable L and Switched live to switch - connected to L from supply and L terminal of lamp

The only difference is that the lamp holder is an integral part of the existing fitting, but the new one is separate. The two white wires are N and Switched Live (Shown as Brown & Blue in the diagram below)

rose1.gif

mark the cables with a sharpie or some tape before undoing any connections and take another photo or write it down so you know which cable went where.

Appreciate the advice! I'm having difficulty seeing where the wires go to on the current rose as they don't look like they are in a straight line like the diagram. Also, forgive me for a stupid question as I've never done this before, but what do I label the wires as with the Sharpie?

Are the white wires on the new fitting the earth wires? And should they be fitted into the brass earth connector?

Sponsored Links
Are the white wires on the new fitting the earth wires? And should they be fitted into the brass earth connector?

No. I've just told you what they are
The two white wires are N and Switched Live (Shown as Brown & Blue in the diagram below)

This has got to be a wind up, right? If it's not. Put it back and get someone competent in to help you.

I meant mark them for example like this... Those 3 red wires that go into the same connector, write "1" on each of them, then move onto the next group that are in the same connector and write "2" on them and so on. That way you know which cables were grouped together. Those white wires on that new light fitting are your live and neutral wires. If there's no marking on the fitting indicating which way or in the wiring instructions then it doesn't matter which way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back