ceiling rose wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

My electric circuit tester shows power into the fitting but the bulb doesn't light up!! I've confirmed that the blub works. Any ideas what could be wrong :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you using a neon screwdriver?

If so, throw it in the bin, toddle up to the high street and invest £8 in a multimeter.

Then come back, tell us how many terminals are in the rose, what colours go into each, and what is the voltage between each of them and each other one.

Have you recently rewired it?

Where does the power show up?

You'll have two sources of power, the live conductors (all red or brown or combination of and there will be two or three depending on whether or not it's the last fitting in the loop). They should be live permanently. Then you've got a black insulated conductor which should have red sleeving which is the switched live. This should only be live when , not surprisingly, it's switched on.

Have you changed the fitting recently? Has it worked since? It may be that the switched live wasn't sleeved and you've connected it with the rest of the neutrals although I would have thought this would blow a fuse or trip the MCB.

If you don't have a sleeved black conductor then you'll need to do a continuity test between the black conductor at the switch and the black conductors in the fitting to determine which is switched live. WITH THE POWER OFF OF COURSE!

Regards

Fred

Thanks. I'll throw the screwdriver away and am heading off to buy a multimeter!

There are two reds into the live terminal and the black wire identified as being live with the continuity tester into the switch terminal and the other black wire into the neutral terminal. :confused:

Sponsored Links
OK. Then your light fitting (pendant or whatever, assuming it has a flex with brown & Blue, or red and black, wires) should be wired to the Neutral block (blue or black wire to pendant) and the Switched Live (Brown or Red wire to pendant)

JohnD said:
If so, throw it in the bin, toddle up to the high street and invest £8 in a multimeter.

I was in Maplins earlier. they have basic DVM on offer for £5.99 and (wait for it) buy one and get one free!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back