Ceiling roses with only 2 terminals?

i think he means the original ones of these, the ones in the pic may be replicas
Oh god, you've just brought to mind a tale a friend told me. When he was an apprentice (which was quite a few years ago now), he was in lodgings with an elderly lady (he reckoned about 80) and her father who still thought nothing of going up on the roof with ladders. But they were rather deaf, so he rigged up the doorbell push to a light on the mantlepiece - and I suspect a few of you know ehre this is heading ...
The bell push was an old porcelain job with brass button - and the brass button was connected to one side of the switch. And the mantlepiece light was straight off the mains :eek: Not one to be pressed in wet weather.
Item 9 on this page seem to be a more modern version.
http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/British1.html
They were in my parents house when we moved there - hardly got used and eventually replaced with standard double sockets. Those 2A plugs are not very common, and weren't even back in the 80s. Though Woolies near my university sold them - most of the student rooms had them so there was a brisk trade, and also a second hand market when leaving.

Sponsored Links
if you have some of the old ones, dirty and paint-marked, they can go through the dishwasher. Usually come up like new. May break if already cracked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back