Ceiling roses with only 2 terminals?

Sponsored Links
These are more for batten holders so whether your rose will fit flush due to the earth terminal who knows
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG201E.html

You get ones for trunking too, but sometimes look a bit ugly
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASMB326E.html
Thanks for the clarification and the links. I'll order a couple next week to see if they fit.

Last question - Regarding a flush box for the wall switch, which is better metal or plastic? I assume plastic is for drywall and metal is for solid wall?

Yes, that's correct.

Out of interest, are you fitting old 13 amp sockets as well?

I wonder how many people are looking at this:

upload_2017-12-8_21-1-7.png

thinking "you mean I could have sold mine?"

Sponsored Links
If they're NOS, I'd be interested.
If you mean "New Old Stock" then I'm afraid that (assuming I could find them!) they would be anything but that - all will have been removed after a few decades in service (and most would probably show it, in some cases including the work of a few generations of decorators!). However, when I have a little time, I'll have a look and see what, if anything, I can find.

However, if you look around the likes of eBay, you'll find plenty which look to be in pretty good condition - for example (click here ).

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Talking of old fittings I came across 2 of these recently in a 1950's bungalow one in each of 2 bedrooms. I believe they were original fittings.They were mounted as shown but I believe by looking at the writing on the fuse carrier they should have been rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise. The fuse feeds the two 2 amp sockets and is the smaller BS646 type. A 5 amp fuse was fitted.
I now have one of them for the cost of a free of charge upgrade to a modern double socket. I was not allowed the second one as that room had just been newly decorated whereas the first room was due to be decorated. The name on the back is MEM.

Attachments

• Fireside1.jpg
    Fireside1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 88
Talking of old fittings I came across 2 of these recently in a 1950's bungalow one in each of 2 bedrooms. I believe they were original fittings.They were mounted as shown but I believe by looking at the writing on the fuse carrier they should have been rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise. The fuse feeds the two 2 amp sockets and is the smaller BS646 type. A 5 amp fuse was fitted.
I now have one of them for the cost of a free of charge upgrade to a modern double socket. I was not allowed the second one as that room had just been newly decorated whereas the first room was due to be decorated. The name on the back is MEM.

I have encountered these too.

The faceplate shown in your picture, as I recall, doesn't fit a standard back box, and came with an open-backed pattress which fits over a standard single flushed-in box.

A sort of Converta socket of it's time.

The job I removed these from was a some sort of 1960s DIY project, where a stranded twin and earth cable had been laid into a V-shaped groove literally cut into the floorboards presumably by a machine.

An inch hole had been made through a floorboard to acomodate three plastic connector blocks, as the cable then split into a Y formation to supply the two sockets.

I think around the 1960s it was quite rare then to do DIY electrics, unlike now.

I have encountered these too.

The faceplate shown in your picture, as I recall, doesn't fit a standard back box, and came with an open-backed pattress which fits over a standard single flushed-in box.

This had a backbox standard size in one direction but about 1/2 wider in the direction of the fixing lugs. Getting it out caused the decoration problems as it was mortered in.

If you mean "New Old Stock" then I'm afraid that (assuming I could find them!) they would be anything but that - all will have been removed after a few decades in service (and most would probably show it, in some cases including the work of a few generations of decorators!). However, when I have a little time, I'll have a look and see what, if anything, I can find.

However, if you look around the likes of eBay, you'll find plenty which look to be in pretty good condition - for example (click here ).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes new old stock. I have bought about 3 or 4 from ebay before.

Regards.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back