Ceiling spot lights not all working ?

As for the earth, AFaik 2 core wiring is only allowed in certain situations, anything else there must be a connected earth within the cable.

Are you saying there is NO earth core within that grey cable, seems odd.

Sponsored Links
Yep no earth core
No earth connectors on lamps
I think when the bulbs go I will just buy some with earth connectors and 3 core cable , simple now I know what I am doing

This is what it said on the box

Double Insulated Ceiling Lights, No Earth Cable Required Page 2 of 12
Double insulated lighting for ceilings. This entire lighting range is double insulated and does not require earth cable. Also known as Class 11 or class 2 light fittings, these lights can be installed where no earth wire is present.

Thats all true, the regulations are regarding the wiring you have installed not the light fittings, normally in situations like yours you would run a cable with earth in, to each light then use a 2 core flylead to each fitting,
Something like this at each point maybe.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...MI_pyw3NPM3QIVg73tCh3PWgLYEAYYBCABEgJFIvD_BwE
shopping

The fittings are misleading as they have loop in and out connecters but no earth facility on them

Sponsored Links
Cheers , I have found some with earth connectors built into the lamps and I have plenty 3 core cable so think I’ll just change the lamps soon to make the circuit safer

Cheers , I have found some with earth connectors built into the lamps and I have plenty 3 core cable so think I’ll just change the lamps soon to make the circuit safer
Class II is considered 'safer' than earthed fittings.

Earthing is not a good thing in its own right.
It is a necessary evil for Class I fittings and appliances.

Risteard has got a point that I missed, what did you do with the ground wire?
The ground wire should be sleeved with yellow/green sleeve and joined from the rose and also at each lamp so that their is a continuous Ground line from start to end.
They do not have to be connected to the lamps (in this case), but the cable has to have a working ground connection along its entire length.

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=ground+sleeve
Please don't use that term.

It's the fitting's fault as much as anything...
The terminal block allows looping of cables in and out.
But there is nowhere to park the earths and no space to fit a connector for them.
If the solution is to have a joint elsewhere and only one cable at each fitting, why do the terminal blocks have two connection ports?

The terminal cover should have some kind of built-in cable clamp, which should be on the sheath, not the conductor insulation.

Oh, secure....READ THE NEW POSTS before posting yourself!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back