celing downlighter fittings safety advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to fit some flush celing downlights in a bathroom, apparentley thay are ip65 rated, which makes them suitable for the bathroom enviroment, is this correct?
Also the loftspace above the celing is freshly insulated with thick insulation. What do you proffesional chaps fit these fire proof hoods that cover the rear of the unit, and if so is it ok to place the insulation back over these hoods.

Sponsored Links
I have been asked to fit some flush celing downlights in a bathroom, apparentley thay are ip65 rated, which makes them suitable for the bathroom enviroment, is this correct?
They either are or are not, apparently being rated so is not really cutting the mustard!
If they are? Then yes! If they are compliant to part C of building regs?
What do you proffesional chaps fit these fire proof hoods that cover the rear of the unit, and if so is it ok to place the insulation back over these hoods.
Some are designed to have insulation recovered, you may find some are not! So get the right product there are plenty of them about. I personally prefer the galvanised insulation guards. And you should fit them not only for protection but also to prevent compromising the insulation properties of the room/property!

the loftspace above the celing is freshly insulated with thick insulation
They organised that the wrong way round. Fit lights first then insulation.

Fire hoods are NOT required unless the bathroom ceiling is a fire barrier (it wont be).
Use a loft cap
TLALC724.JPG

or a loft brace
JC94020A.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back