Downlights in bathroon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm planning to install some recessed downlights in my bathroom. The back of the lights will be exposed in the loft.

I have read posts about building regs in about fire rated ceilings and the use of fire rated lights or hoods. My loft is insulated with fibreglass, so I am assuming I will need to prevent the fibre class touching the back of the lights. Is this correct or do I not need to worry?

If contact should be avoided should I use the fire hoods?

I'm also going to put a light over the shower cubicle, am I correct in thinking that this light needs to be a certain zone rated?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You do NOT need to use fire hoods unless there is another dwelling above you (flats for example). You DO need to prevent them being covered with insulation so pulling the insulation from around the area is sufficient.

You need a downlighter rated at IPX4 or higher.

Davy

Also, as I have read many times on this forum, to keep the insulation away and allow heat dissapitation, use a garden flower pot.

Sponsored Links
This is a low energy downlight:

GUFRD9SC.JPG

Please use them, you'll need less downlights then. They give a better, cooler, cleaner light. The initial higher layout is far compensated by the lower running costs. It gives off much less heat, and is self-fire rated. Amazing stuff.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/GUFRD_Fireguard/index.html

Sorry but I'm not aware of part b, please can you let me know what this means

Work of this nature in a bathroom either needs notifying to your Local Area Building Control before you carry it out so it can be inspected by them and it will cost you OR the work must be carried out by an electrician who can self certify.

Adam75 said:
Sorry but I'm not aware of part b, please can you let me know what this means

ricicle said:
Work of this nature in a bathroom either needs notifying to your Local Area Building Control before you carry it out so it can be inspected by them and it will cost you OR the work must be carried out by an electrician who can self certify.

Tut tut ricicle, Part B is all about Fire safety, get a grip man! :LOL:

Crafty said:
<snip>
Please use them, you'll need less downlights then.
Crafty, don't want to hijack, but are they dimmable? can't find anywhere on the site that says they aren't but it seems to be the normal sticking point for low energy downlighters..

trevw said:
Crafty said:
<snip>
Please use them, you'll need less downlights then.
Crafty, don't want to hijack, but are they dimmable? can't find anywhere on the site that says they aren't but it seems to be the normal sticking point for low energy downlighters..

No they aren't dimmable. However, the OP never mentioned about dimming, and said they were going in a bathroom, therefore highly unlikely to be dimmed.

It is also my opinion that because there lights have a wider beam, you need less of them, and therefore less likely to want to dim them. Standard downlights need dimming because you need so many of them to give an even light. Just a thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back