Recommended Downlighters for Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a bathroom refurbishment, I'm considering having downlighters fitted, but it appears the market has changed since I last looked around a couple of years ago and quite a lot of downlighters now seem to have integrated LED's, which I assume means when the LED's go, the whole fitting needs to change. What if that fitting is no longer available?

Having said that, I have found these by Aurora:

AU-UNIF793 - Fire Rated, IP65 with hood

While these appear to fit the bill, I just wondered if there were alternatives and why integrated LED's are now so popular?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if that company knows what it is talking about. There is no such thing as a MR16 lamp holder as MR16 lamps come with a variety of lamp holders.

Don't know why integrated LEDs are so popular, possibly cheaper to make, but the replacement problem is very real, so do avoid them.

In fact you may wish to avoid downlights altogether as they tend to just give spots of light.

BAS will no doubt fill you in.

Do you have any examples? I had new down lighters fitted when the bathroom was done and only found ones like you have posted.

What if that fitting is no longer available?
Then you end up with mismatched ones.

Having said that, I have found these by Aurora:

AU-UNIF793 - Fire Rated, IP65 with hood

While these appear to fit the bill, I just wondered if there were alternatives
They are just lights which take MR16, or MR16-ish bulbs - surely there's an uncountably large number of those available on the market? Not all will be of the same quality as Aurora though.

and why integrated LED's are now so popular?
I've always assumed that it allows makers to produce lights free from the constraints of off-the-shelf bulb shapes/sizes/capabilities, particularly to allow better control of the LED elements than is possible with the limited amount of electronics you can get into the base of a 2" bulb.

Certainly with Aurora their prices contradict the idea that they are cheaper to make.

But if you are thinking of putting in what are basically torches recessed into the ceiling, you've probably thought about how many you need, in which case I strongly advise also at least thinking about whether the amount you'll need to light the room might indicate that they aren't actually very good at doing the job of lighting up rooms....

They're also not nice to look up at, which is a problem when lying in the bath.

Recessed is fine - IMO small diameter is not, and this sort of thing is better:

https://auroraclearance.com/downlights/integrated-led/au-dl10019awak.html
https://auroraclearance.com/luminaires/ceiling-lights/en-ddlh840.html

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back