celotex 165mm substitute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am currently buiding an extension and on my plans it is stated to use 165mm celotex between the single storey roof spars, can anyone suggest a cheaper option but still acheiving the required U value

Thanks in advance
D

Sponsored Links
Hello
I am currently buiding an extension and on my plans it is stated to use 165mm celotex between the single storey roof spars, can anyone suggest a cheaper option but still acheiving the required U value

Thanks in advance
D

Around a metre of rockwool?
Ok ok you did say cheaper but didnt mention anything about the thickness :)
What is it, around £45 for an 8x4 sheet?

Am assuming this is a pitched roof.

The only other way would be lots of loft quilt or a combination that and and PUR (Celotex) though as you have it between rafters this points towards a sloping ceiling situation so sound like you're stuck with the specified system (ps Celotex and similar are all about the same rate, shopping around would be your best bet)

Why do you need 165mm for an extension roof? That seems excessive! Assuming your rafters are at 600 centres and you have the plasterboard at rafter level: you could reduce the overall thickness by having a layer between the rafters and then a continuous layer beneath the rafters. Obviously having a tick layer beneath the rafters means longer fixings and it being more fiddly, take slightly longer and the fixings will cost more however it may be worth investigating though. A quick stab on the Celotex U Value Calculator and to achieve a U Value of 0.18 you could get away with 50mm between the rafters and a continuous layer of 70mm beneath so overall 120mm.

Sponsored Links
Wow ... 165mm Celotex?

Your designer must be on some sort of crusade to save the planet all on his own.

In fact, I will ask building control on my next extension if I can offset heat losses with the savings you make on your extension :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back