Cementing Pergola Posts - cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've got a pergola with 6 posts that need cementing into the ground. I'm wondering about the weather and when I should think about doing this? One company have offered a slot for the work on 11th Feb - is there any weather conditions prior to and predicted that i should then be saying - I don't want it to happen?

Thanks in advance for the advance

Sponsored Links
If you concrete wooden posts into the ground, they will rot.

A pergola does not have strong sideways forces like a fence, you can set metal sockets into concrete pads, and put the posts into those above ground. The sockets should be well painted first, to protect from rust, and you can use a colour that will blend with the stain you intend to use in the posts.

Concrete needs to be poured at or above 5 degrees c, and kept that way for a couple of days, to avoid frost damage.

You can get round this with frostproofer but unlikely a harden contractor will have any. They're more likely to use bags of postmix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back