Pergola Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to build a Long pergola, which will have 20 4"x4" post, 10 on each side. The cost of normal 9ft posts is fine, but if u want a slot cut in the top they appear to be about £10 dearer, so for 20 posts it adds up. Is there a simple way of cutting accurately the slots in the posts.

Sponsored Links
p1145090_l.jpg

p1145304_l.jpg

p1128031_l.jpg

p2468711_l.jpg

p1929534_l.jpg

elbow%20grease4.jpg

;)

Thanks for the answer !!!, I've tried that before and can't seem to get nice 90deg corners , etc. Was looking for something a bit more scientific.

i take it your cutting a slot for the top member to sit in? You need to remember with sawn exterior wood that it is not planed smooth or accuratly so you will never get perfect joints when it comes to carpentry of that type.

Sponsored Links
well if you dont trust your own chippy skills (i have a similar problem with chippy skills) why not lay them on the top and screw through from underneath at an angle

or from the top for that matter (and a dob of silicone selant to stop water getting in)

i normally screw them in from the side to cover the tops of the posts and then half lap the cross members

zinnia48 said:
Thanks for the answer !!!, I've tried that before and can't seem to get nice 90deg corners , etc. Was looking for something a bit more scientific.

Dont bother worrying yourself over sharp 90 deg corners - these sort of projects look rustic at the best of times, and as soon as plants grow up the structure it'll never notice. As stated, sawn timber is not very square to start with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back