Cental heating nightmare - help me solve a 12 month problem!

A brave question T. . Any answers?

Am I due an email?

I sent you an email a few days ago but the one to blueyonder was returned but the other went somewhere! You need to put your preferred email on your profile as I do.

If two pumps were in series and one failed then they would both need to be taken out of service to repair.

In parallel one can be isolated and the system continues on one pump.

Sponsored Links
I haven't had a blueyonder address for 12 years or more.

My email system has a long memory! And I have been using the same addresses ever since email was marketed!

What about 101@gmail then?

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input - will be getting on to someone this week and the information you've given will come in handy. :)

It's interesting about boiler size and not running the CH and HW at the same time - when I bought the place they were on Economy 7, so probably running the HW at night when it was cheaper and (if they knew about the boiler being an issue) avoiding the problem.

Oddly I tried it today with the HW and CH on and the water in the F&E tank was cold. Switched off the HW and the water in the F&E started to warm.

I think whoever takes this one is going to have their work cut out!

It's interesting about boiler size and not running the CH and HW at the same time - when I bought the place they were on Economy 7, so probably running the HW at night when it was cheaper and (if they knew about the boiler being an issue) avoiding the problem.
Economy 7 is cheaper electricity at night. It will only be relevant if the hot water is heated by an electric immersion heater.

The suggestion to heat the cylinder overnight was made assuming it was being heated by the boiler.

Economy 7 is also useful for running dishwashers, washing machines & tumble driers overnight.

If the cylinder can be heated by the boiler, the immersion heater is provided as a backup, in case the boiler packs up.

Typical install for a 38HXI from what I've seen! (was one of the cheapest high output heat only available). Can't remember the last time I saw one installed on a correctly designed system!

Bigger pump (25-80) absolutely necessary, or a second 15-60 in series for a cheaper option. Combine cold feed and open vent if it were me, having them in that "H" shape always causes problems in my experience (adding a more powerful pump will only exasperate it sucking air in etc). Auto bypass definitely needed, nothing to do with the power of the boiler (although more powerful makes it worse), it should have one regardless. Hopefully pump is wired to the boiler too, not the motorised valves, so that you have a pump overrun.

It may sound a lot but it's honestly not that bad of a job. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes to how much better it heats up after!

Why do you recommend the two pumps in series?

Because it'll give between 11 and 12m of head. Single bigger pump is the better option.

You don't need a 12m head, and consequently a larger/second pump, if the system is balanced for the boiler's expected differential of 20C.

You don't need a 12m head, and consequently a larger/second pump, if the system is balanced for the boiler's expected differential of 20C.
Assuming the OP is willing to mess around for the whole of winter trying to get every rad accurate to within an eighth of a turn on the lockshield valves to then find its gone back out next year anyway :LOL:. Add to that slow heat up (17 rads is not small) and no provision for even the slightest of blockages. Bigger pump will help all round. Some systems simply cannot be at a 20C differential unless you start again with new rads and pipework.

Assuming the OP is willing to mess around for the whole of winter trying to get every rad accurate to within an eighth of a turn on the lockshield valves to then find its gone back out next year anyway
Why should it take the whole winter to obtain an acceptable balance, and why should it go out?

Add to that slow heat up (17 rads is not small) and no provision for even the slightest of blockages.
Provided the rads are giving out the required amount of heat, why should the house heat up any slower?

Some systems simply cannot be at a 20C differential unless you start again with new rads and pipework.
I'm inclined to agree with that. I wonder how many installers are correctly sizing the pipes to take account of the lower flow rate, and consequently reduced head loss, for a new system designed with a 20C differential?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back