Central Heating Corrosion Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have looked over the internet but can't quite find what I am looking for, I need to know a simple corrosion test often used for central heating systems, any help will be appreciated, thanks...

~John

Sponsored Links
Do you mean an inhibitor test kit?. Corrosion gives itself away by colour smell and blockages.

I'm doing a course and I have questions but no material to find the answer in, the question was "Describe the simple corrosion test often used on central heating systems."

I think that the inhibitor test kit fits correctly as the answer, also I can research it to explain how it works, thanks for your help :D

Sponsored Links
Or maybe "open a bleed valve, see if gas comes out, see if it will ignite (hydrogen)

(bah, beaten by Kevplumb :(

you can take a water sample and have it analysed for content

Do you guys know the most common way a plumber would do it, or do they all equally use different methods?

I think they are probably referring to the nail in a jar of water method.

drain off a bit of water into a clean jamjar, put in a bright steel nail, shake, see if it goes rusty. Or use wire wool which is faster.

I do that too :)

Put water in jar. Put nail in water. Wait a week to see rust. (Don't use plated nails).

I doubt you will find iron nails except in a museum.

I'm doing a course and I have questions but no material to find the answer in, the question was "Describe the simple corrosion test often used on central heating systems."

The nail in a jam jar test is often used, invariably by idiots.

The nail would rust if there were dissolved oxygen in the water. There is bog all oxygen dissolved in a jam jar of central heating water, but leaving the jar open to the atmosphere will allow oxygen to be dissolved. Removing a sample from the system will allow it to dissolve oxygen and distort the test results.

Corroison is the result of dissolved oxygen, either from pumping over, oxygen permeating through non-barrier plastic pipe or from electrolysis due to galvanic corrosion and acidic system water.

The only sensible test is a chemical test kit to measure the concentration of the oxygen scavenger chemical in the sample.

For a proper corrrosion test of the nail in water type, go Google for the phrase "corrosion coupon rack".

If your instructors recommend the nail in jam jar test, you need to consider getting proper training elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back