Central heating getting hot when i run a bath!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a potterton puma 80 and when i run a bath the central heating starts getting hot even though the central heating is off a the main switch on the boiler. I have been advised that it may be the diverter valve but when i looked the part up it comes in two parts, the complete valve part and the wax capsule head. Has anybody had any experience with this sort of fault and what did they do to cure it. Any advice apprieciated.

Sponsored Links
You sure your house wasn't plumbed by the bloke who built ours? He put the bathroom rad on the same circuit as the HW cylinder coil so that when you draw hot water and the boiler fires, the rad heats up.

Logical, I suppose, in a funny sort of way.....

Sponsored Links
RigidRaider said:
You sure your house wasn't plumbed by the bloke who built ours? He put the bathroom rad on the same circuit as the HW cylinder coil so that when you draw hot water and the boiler fires, the rad heats up.

Logical, I suppose, in a funny sort of way.....

Not unusual. It means the towel rail gets hot for your damp towels. I've done mine like that, connected prior to the 3-port valve so the bathroom gets warm if the heating's on, and if the bath's run (it comes off the circulating water). It is lockshield-balanced back quite tight to stop it stealing all the flow, and has a TRV to avoid summer heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back