Central heating oil tank in garage

Is the expected lifespan of a British tank the same as a US tank as in the link above?

Sponsored Links
Is the expected lifespan of a British tank the same as a US tank as in the link above?

Pedantic, that link was used as a guide.

English single skin Steel 700 litre domestic oil tank Guaranteed life span 2 Years, (after the makers guarantee one takes their chance) !!!
The OP`s tank has been there for some 20 years (with possible minimum maintenance)

Note. It is now illegal to have an Unbunded Oil Tank in Wales, Something the Insurance Companies would point out and refuse compensation if a tank leaked.

https://www.fueltankshop.co.uk/700-litre-steel-single-skin-oil-tank/p4995

Last edited:
I agree, at 20 years old, the tank is due to be replaced and one would explain to the OP the risks of corrosion, the OP would most likely accept the reasons given. However the engineer probably came over as an officious snot by claiming that the tank needed replacing because it was in breach of regulations and legislation, that's enough to put anyones back up.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the answers- very helpful- just had a tank installer here and he says the current installation is illegal as it doesnt meet current regs. though my understanding is the legislation is not retrospective. However, the sensible thing to do is to get a new tank fitted which will solve the problem. thanks again

Don't forget who helps to drive the regs the insurance companies and they're always looking not to pay out if your tank instalation does not comply and anything happens they will send an adjuster who is OFTEC wise and I can tell you now you will not get paid a tank shouldnt be in a building unless it's constructed to have a tank in it it has to be fire resiting and should not be able to be locked from the outside so a garage is out cos you lock a garage and should you not someone will steal you car or valuables left in there so get a new tank outside and get rid of the problem.Bob

From the inspectapedia link
We have seen indoor oil tanks easily in good condition that are 60 years old or older, and we have found failures in newer oil storage tanks that may have been made of thinner or cheaper steel and that did not last as long as the original ones. -

That rather brings into question statements of 10 year replacement requirements. Even outside it is reasonable to expect 40 years for a properly maintained steel tank.

Don't forget who helps to drive the regs the insurance companies and they're always looking not to pay out if your tank instalation does not comply and anything happens they will send an adjuster who is OFTEC wise and I can tell you now you will not get paid a tank shouldnt be in a building unless it's constructed to have a tank in it it has to be fire resiting and should not be able to be locked from the outside so a garage is out cos you lock a garage and should you not someone will steal you car or valuables left in there so get a new tank outside and get rid of the problem.Bob

Well that might be true in Scotland, but it is most certainly not the case in England. Insurance companies have. have paid out where reasonable steps had been taken to inspect the tank, and paid out even when they failed after inspection.

Last edited:
Sorry to argue with you Bob but the OFTEC regd installer is happy to install the tank in the garage as long as there is the required fire protection in place. the OFTEC website says:
"Yes. Under British Standards a domestic oil storage tank up to 3500 litres capacity may be installed within a building so long as the tank has secondary containment, such as an integrally bunded oil storage tank, the tank is contained within a one-hour fire-resistant chamber and is located at the lowest possible level. The chamber should contain nothing but the tank and be ventilated to the outside"

Which means you can't use the garage for anything else and I lived in Lincoln as I'm English and I've seen non payouts for the slightest infringements.Bob

If the tank is installed in a garage it has to be enclosed in a 60 minute Fire Proof Chamber .

I get the feeling the OP is despairing at the regulations and wishes he never posted the original question .

which is what i said in my previous post !- Im not despairing Bosswhite. just tired and emotional. all I care about is that the OFTEC regd installer is happy to fit it in the garage so that's what we'll do.
THE END !

The posters on here are just trying to give you advice and confirm what you were originally told in the first place.

Unless you have a very large Garage there is a possibility that you will not be able to use it for parking vehicles ( under new regulations) if you decide to have the Tank in the Garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back