Central Heating - Ouside Temp Compensation and Zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having been fully convinced of the benefits of OTC for helping condensing boilers we now recomend it routinely.

In larger properties 6000+sqft we use Honeywell Smile which allows us to ring most of he changes, despite the horendous end user interface :( Any alternative suggestions (other than heatmiser) that don't ruin the decor?

In smaller places 2,3,4 bed average houses the offerings from Vaillant and Veissman are great.

The problem arises when we get to the middle ground - luxury 4 bed + 3500sqft + where some zoning is desirable/required.
Smile/Heatmiser with the necessary multiple mixing and pump sets is overkill and difficult to accomadate all the hardware!
Vaillant's vrc400/430 only allow timing/temperature setting from one controller afaik and so do not facilitate the analogous situation to S-plan plus with progstats.
Sticking stats and zone valves in and then running the heating continuously is throwing any pretense at interlock out the window and the resulting cycling will undo any efficiency gains made elsewhere :(
I'm guessing I need something akin to a Vaillant VR65 extended for multiple controllers/stats and valves where the highest current temp demand is passed to the boiler.
Does something like that exist somewhere (am I going to look really stoopid when someone tells me the VR65 already does it :oops: ?)
Or can any one suggest alternative solutions that don't involve multiple mixing sets?
Aside from Vaillant and Veissman are there other domestic boilers with system controllable modulation and attendant controllers? Sirrus, anyone familiar?

Cheers
Simon

Sponsored Links
In larger properties 6000+sqft we use Honeywell Smile
Never hear of it so I did a google. This product was only announced yesterday, so how come you are already using it? In any case it is shown as an alternative to a BMS for commercial not domestic installations.
Aside from Vaillant and Veissman are there other domestic boilers with system controllable modulation and attendant controllers?
The Broag-Remeha boilers have a good reputation in the commercial field and their Avanta domestic range have an Opentherm interface which can be used with either their own Celica 20 controller on any other OpenTherm controller.

You are correct. At present the VR65 will only handle one zone. They are supposed to be developing it further to handle more zones, but when is unknown.

Perhaps now that R&D for Vaillant has been removed from Glow Worm numpties at Belper and put back into Germany things will improve.

We use Hometronic to create multiple temperature based zone control in large domestics.

This can be configured to switch the boiler in and out of WC if the demand dictates.

Sponsored Links
intriging Im sometime known to work in this field but on a commercial basis :rolleyes:
Im at a loss what the original poster was asking?

it read more like a question about whats the best bait to use for carp fishing :idea:

D_Hailsham
We've been using Smile for over 18 months and while relatively recent it has been around in the Uk for a little longer than that - like most of this stuff its out of Germany. I notice that Hoval seem to be 'OEMing it' as Toptronic or somesuch! Honeywell are definately plugging it for larger houses though the user interface is definately not too clever - things like direct access to compensation curves through an unlockable hard key on the front of each control panel! :eek:
I'll take a look at the Avanta. Thanks

gas4you - yes finally got through to someone at Vaillant that knew today (4th attempt) The VR63 seems to be the bit of kit I'm waiting for - bogged down in approval testing, apparently, no chance till April+ :(

simond - We recently took on H2M8 Webbricks automation and are developing a number of heating related code modules but its gonna take a while before they will be road tested enough to put them out there. I'll take another look at Hometronic. Thanks

whatdo iknow - well a hell of a lot more than me I'm sure! I have no more than i've learned by trying things, and that only for the last couple of years. ie no background in commercial to fall back on. As such I probably woffle a lot as I try to ask for what I want :oops:

I'll try again - do you know of a multiple zone capable boiler/ control system where the variable flow temperature is based on burner modulation as opposed to mixing valves
I understand that this would necessarily create a priority based heirarchy.
I ask this as the mixing valve based systems are (imho) physically too big to accomadate and too expensive for multiple zoned houses at the lower end of the size range.

Thanks all
Simon

coster uk.

http://www.costerec.co.uk/

provide a range of multi zone controlers,
boiler modulation is usually controled via the boiler internal controls,

buderus do offer multi zone integrated boiler/zone packages....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back