Central Heating Port Valve Water Hammer

If its (and the other Zone valves) are installed on the boiler flow pipe, which they should be, then the arrow should be pointing in the direction of (with) the flow and pointing towards the rads, similarly, the cylinder zone valve should be pointing into the cylinder etc.

Sponsored Links
Only the central heating valve . It is interesting you are asking the question about the bypass valve installation. Boiler initially installed without external bypass because plumber said this boiler had an internal bypass. When I got a Vaillant engineer to do my annual service he wasn't happy there was no external bypass so go the plumber back and he fitted it. Picture below - not sure of the make and have not touched setting since plumber installed bypass valve.

View attachment 325133
Ffs
Some background. Went from vented to unvented system 5yrs ago when I added an extension to the house. I have 15 radiators and underfloor heating. Boiler fitted was a Vaillant Ecotec plus 637. It's a 3 port valve system for heating, hot water and underfloor heating. Water cylinder is 290 litres.

Only issue I have left that is has been dragging on for 5yrs is what looks like water hammer when the heating motorised port valve closes when boiler goes into pump over run. So get this regular banging all day long.

I've checked to make sure the direction of the valve is fitted right way (green arrows in 3rd picture below) and it looks ok. Not sure what the issue is. I've attached some pictures of my heating system.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 325104
View attachment 325105
View attachment 325106
View attachment 325108
From the boiler iom:

3.11.2 System by-pass
An automatic system by-pass is provided in the boiler.
The boiler is suitable for use in systems with thermostat-
ic radiator valves and no additional by-pass is required.
The by-pass valve is adjustable, see section 5.8.

If true (you should check yourself against the specific boiler you have) you have a an external ABV fighting an internal one. No wonder the plumber left it full open.

However, you probably could close it full tight and see if this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back