Central heating power flush, boiler now cutting out

you appear to be having a dig at me, the reason i called the plumber was to get an opinion and if not too costly i would have given him the job, i fully appreciate that skilled trades men need a wage like all of us do.

But my point was the fact that he appeared to have over quoted without fully looking into the problem if every trade did the same none of us would have any customers now would we !.

The whole point of my post was to learn knowledge having tried and failed at flushing my system, which is why this forum was created if i am not mistaken.

I know i messed up and hold my hands up, which i why i am looking for your help on this matter.

Sponsored Links
i'd hardly call £350 overquoting. our powerflush is at least £695. we do however gauruntee that it will work.

But my point was the fact that he appeared to have over quoted without fully looking into the problem if every trade did the same none of us would have any customers now would we !.

If every trade came and gave free diagnostic visits so that the owner could do his own repairs then they would go bust!

You paid nothing and you got nothing apart from a price guaranteed to cover any eventuality.

Tony

Sponsored Links
some stuff can be done diy. some cant. sometimes the best advice is to not start meddling. as you've sadly learnt the hard way. ive had plenty of my customers do thier own flush following my diagnoses. only to come cap in hand asking for the proper job later on. saometimes after spending half what i quoted on so called pro's.

some stuff can be done diy. some cant. sometimes the best advice is to not start meddling.
Meddling?! MEDDLING?!

It's his system - he's entitled to do what he likes with it, and this implication that there Things That Only Professionals Can Do is elitist garbage.

Anything can be done DIY, apart from what's illegal or inherently unsafe.

as you've sadly learnt the hard way. ive had plenty of my customers do thier own flush following my diagnoses. only to come cap in hand asking for the proper job later on. saometimes after spending half what i quoted on so called pro's.
Well why don't you b*gger off and spend more time with your customers?
This forum is for helping people to work on their own heating systems.

The OP has attempted something, has admitted to failure, and wants to learn how to put it right.

falconers - have you followed the basic principles in filling your system after flushing...?

1. Ensure that the F&E cistern was empty (down to the outlet) after you drained.
2. Before refilling, sponge out any muck and rust from the F&E cistern.
3. When refilling, latch MZVs on 'manual' and open all rad valves.
4. After filling, do not switch on the pump until you get water from all rad vents.
5. Vent the pump.
6. Vent the boiler and the high point of any loops.
7. Run the system and check that heat passes through each MZV.
8. Turn off the system and vent again.

If you've done all of this, and you still don't get heat circulating, then it's possible that you have a blockage. Try the magnet trick on the pipework near the cold feed. If you have an air eliminator then check that too.

Bear in mind that the boiler heat exchanger could be blocked.

Softus

Thanks for the constructive advice, i have now managed to get some of the rads working in a fashion by draining the system a couple of times and using a wet & dry vac to suck the water out of a rad, a little unconventional but it appeared to remove a bit of crap still in their.

So some rads now have nominal heat which is definitely an improvement from one 1 rad, so the blockage must now be moving at a slow pace.

I took some of the worst rads off and flushed then seperate to hopefully get a better flush result.

Update,

We got a company in to power flush the rads, they used X300 & X100 and did the complete system.

I still have a couple of rads that are not getting to temperature, and my stat appears to be getting no hotter than 17 degrees and no hotter, the boilers stat is on full.

i have turned some rads off to see if the 2 that aren't getting that hot increase in temperature at all.

Any other suggestions ?

your system maybe really blocked beyond which a powerflush will solve.
It maybe that the system needs to be drained and the pipes cut in strategic places to inspect the state of the pipe.
Sounds severe but i have had to repipe parts of systems that have been totally blocked with hard crystal like magnatite which nothing will shift.
It usually happens on older systems but have come across poorly installed newish systems that have been pumping over from new and block up totally.

Update,

We got a company in to power flush the rads, they used X300 & X100 and did the complete system.

Any other suggestions ?

Was that power flushing done for free as well?

You dont have to do any more than read the instructions or search for five minutes to learn that X300 is a cleansing agent for NEW systems.

Power flushing needs X800 to clean an existing system.

Do I take it that some radiators are still not working?

Not surprising if you have free power flushing using the wrong chemicals!

Pay peanuts and get nupties! Over and over again in some cases.

Dont you ever learn?

Tony

tony

dont presume things,the powerflush was not free by any means and i had no idea what x400 was but they left 4 empty tubs of it which is how i know what they used.

one thing i have learnt is that you clearly are not on this forum to help people,so why bother making posts if they are constantly negative.

Just read what you have said above that it was power flushed with X300.

Now you say it was X400 !

Neither is the right chemical to use! It needs X800 !

Some charletans bring empty botles of the right chemicals with them to leave as "evidence" that they used the right thing. Or not in your case!

Yet again your system has not been dealt with in the best way, presumably because you have used nupties and not paid for a professional.

I try to give the best advice. Many prefer to use repaired boiler parts or use inexperienced people without the required qualifications and who use incorrect chemicals.

You generally get what you pay for! Usually nupties!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back