power flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of having my central heating power flushed,for a few reasons how good is it and is it worth it?i know its very expensive however at the moment with regards to just the hot water i seem to be pumping more air than water.I have bled the pump several times but air keeps getting back into the system.(no leaks detected) I have not tried the heating system resently but i`m sure that air will be pumped around the central heating system also.
Is there a chance that power flushing the system will cure this??

I also better mention that my system is in micro bore.

Sponsored Links
First thing is that you should not powerflush a microbore system.
Pete

Sponsored Links
OP, air in the system might be due to corrosion, or it might be air that is released in the system because the header tank is 'pumping over'. It might also be due to knacked inlet valves if the pump in on the return pipe.

While cleaning the system will make a lot of difference, it will not cure bad plumbing if it exists- that will need to be rectified.

DS40 is my favourite, but it will reveal weaknesses in the system. Also bear in mind, whatever chemical you use, you must carry out multiple flushes as per the instructions.

I prefer to powerflush to remove what the machine can and then chemicals to do the rest.

I would not balk at cleaning a microbore system. In fact, it will benefit from a power flush or chemical cleanse. If it is plastic, sooner you clean and inhibit, better you will be in the long run. Have had to repipe a few properties that had this horrible pipe in it- even 22mm was totally bunged up

OP, air in the system might be due to corrosion, or it might be air that is released in the system because the header tank is 'pumping over'. It might also be due to knacked inlet valves if the pump in on the return pipe.

While cleaning the system will make a lot of difference, it will not cure bad plumbing if it exists- that will need to be rectified.

DS40 is my favourite, but it will reveal weaknesses in the system. Also bear in mind, whatever chemical you use, you must carry out multiple flushes as per the instructions.

I prefer to powerflush to remove what the machine can and then chemicals to do the rest.

I would not balk at cleaning a microbore system. In fact, it will benefit from a power flush or chemical cleanse. If it is plastic, sooner you clean and inhibit, better you will be in the long run. Have had to repipe a few properties that had this horrible pipe in it- even 22mm was totally bunged up

Thanks for the info i might try DS40 first then take it from there, i know i have a micro bore system but it has it must have its advantages and disadvantages, the pipework is in copper and not plastic.
I`m no plumber by any means but it looks as though the pump located in the airing cupboard pumps heated water from the wall mounted boiler up to the immersion tank located in my airing cupboard then back down recirculating.please correct me if i`m wrong.
This is just for the hot water now i`m hoping that the 3 way valve is not passing.(i renewed that about 4 years ago).
So i`m a bit puzzled as to where all the air is coming from, i have bled the pump several times by undoing the screw on the front. Is it best to turn the speed up when bleeding or slow the pump down?Either way what ever way i do it the air never seems to go completely then comes back shortly after.
I might have to get someone in soon if all else fails as all the gurgling in the system cant be doing it any good at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back