Central heating power flush, boiler now cutting out

x400 is pretty much useless in a powerflush as it's too weak, the instructions say can be in the system for up to approx 28 days (as far as i can remember), that shows just how weak it is.

best results when powerflushing you need x800 (or fernox ds40) as said by the 2 previous chaps

Sponsored Links
just checked the empty bottles and it was definitely X400 they used and not x300 as i mistakenly put on my other post, apologies for confusion.

But i believe what you are telling me and it appears they have used the wrong chemical, this was not a free job and needless to say i will be on the phone to them tomorrow requesting they come back and do the job right with the correct chemicals.

Tony your comments are extremely negative and to any new members seeking advise this will have a negative effect on the forum, this forum was setup to help people who are not skilled, and most people are extremely helpful in assisting others who are not skilled in various areas, we cannot all be skilled in all trades, but its good to learn as i am sure most will agree, i would appreciate that if you don't have anything constructive to say on my post you butt out as your tine is somewhat offensive and condescending.

i would like to thank the other members for your assistance so far without your help i might have wasted more money and assumed i had 2 broken radiators which might not be the problem if they job we paid for hasn't been done correctly, i know my attempt failed hence i got a corgi registered plumber who states they do powerflushing, they sent 2 men and it took them 7 hours, and the only reason i got them in was due to the fact that i could not progress and further with my limited knowledge.

So PH Jones will be getting a call tomorrow.

just checked the empty bottles and it was definitely X400 they used and not x300 as i mistakenly put on my other post, apologies for confusion.

But i believe what you are telling me and it appears they have used the wrong chemical, this was not a free job and needless to say i will be on the phone to them tomorrow requesting they come back and do the job right with the correct chemicals.

Tony your comments are extremely negative and to any new members seeking advise this will have a negative effect on the forum, this forum was setup to help people who are not skilled, and most people are extremely helpful in assisting others who are not skilled in various areas, we cannot all be skilled in all trades, but its good to learn as i am sure most will agree, i would appreciate that if you don't have anything constructive to say on my post you butt out as your tine is somewhat offensive and condescending.

i would like to thank the other members for your assistance so far without your help i might have wasted more money and assumed i had 2 broken radiators which might not be the problem if they job we paid for hasn't been done correctly, i know my attempt failed hence i got a corgi registered plumber who states they do powerflushing, they sent 2 men and it took them 7 hours, and the only reason i got them in was due to the fact that i could not progress and further with my limited knowledge.

So PH Jones will be getting a call tomorrow.

PH Jones! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Now there's a Mickey Mouse organisation if ever I saw one. :rolleyes:

Their reputaion is one of incompetence and shoddy workmanship.

well we live and learn, the price they charged wasn't micky mouse, they say you get what you pay for, not always the case as this wasn't the cheapest quote and appeared to be a large company also.

But proving the point that you don't always get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
just checked the empty bottles and it was definitely X400 they used
You finding empty bottles is not evidence of the chemical that they used, so I would advise you to tread carefully when making your phone call.

i will be on the phone to them tomorrow requesting they come back and do the job right with the correct chemicals.
That isn't a calm or considered approach.

If the company were competent, and if they did use the correct chemicals, what do you think will be the effect of implying to them that they did the job wrong?

You would be better off looking at the product sticker that they've put on your boiler, or cylinder, or in the airing cupboard, or in the loft, to see what they used. If there is no sticker, then look at the invoice to see what they used.

If you can't find any declaration from them of the chemical used, then I would phone them and ask them (a) what they used, and (b) why they did not place a sticker (showing the product and the date of use) somewhere visible.

Resist your temptation to scold, berate or chastise. The more polite you are now, the more it will stand you in good stead later on.

If, at any point, they say that they used anything other than X800, or an equivalent product of another brand, then tell them, having prepared yourself with some Internet research, why you think that the product they used was not appropriate in the circumstances.

See here and here and here for more information.

well we live and learn, the price they charged wasn't micky mouse, they say you get what you pay for, not always the case as this wasn't the cheapest quote and appeared to be a large company also.

But proving the point that you don't always get what you pay for.

Softus

good sound advice, the invoice says X400 x 4 and x 100 x 2, the bottles where sealed as i picked one up to see what they where using and all factory seals appeared to be intact upon inspection, i appreciated this does not negate the fact they could have tampered with the seals, but they appeared to be intact.

i will google x400 & x800 and speak to them on monday asking the relevant questions.

Thank you once again.

You must have avery large property if they NEEDED four litre bottles of any chemical.

Just ONE bottle of sludge remover or inhibitor is needed for an average three bed semi ( with a system volume of up to 100 litres ).

Using FOUR bottles either implies that its a 20 room house or they have used four because they know that its wrong and too weak or perhaps that it doesn't matter as they are charging fou for it anyway. Its about £14.99 in B&Q inc. VAT.

The kind of people who work for those large firms will use whats in the van rather than going out to get the best product for the job!

Tony

You must have avery large property if they NEEDED four litre bottles of any chemical.
Who cares?

Just ONE bottle of sludge remover or inhibitor is needed for an average three bed semi ( with a system volume of up to 100 litres ).
Who cares?

Using FOUR bottles either implies that its a 20 room house or they have used four because they know that its wrong and too weak or perhaps that it doesn't matter as they are charging fou for it anyway. Its about £14.99 in B&Q inc. VAT.
Who cares?

The kind of people who work for those large firms will use whats in the van rather than going out to get the best product for the job!
Who cares?

so falconers ... waht did you pay and how long did they spend on the flush? did they give any kind of warrany on the work. maybe agile isnt giving helpfull advise on how to do the job but it is on how to get the job done PROPERLY. you seem to think £350 was over the top, so what did you pay.

Although he has not appreciated my advice I think that I have given consistent and helpful postings!

I told him how much he should expect to pay!

Then I identified a possible defect in his own flushing methods.

I told him that he should pay for a proper diagnosis and not expect "free" professional help.

I evaluated the chemicals he said were used against what should have been used including the quantities required.

I pointed out that large firms often had employees less interested in doing a good job with the correct materials.

All in all, I think that he is very lucky that I have given him such a lot of totally free advice! Not helped when he does not correctly state what has been used!

Perhaps I should review my level of help where there is no problem solving interest.

Tony

All in all, I think that he is very lucky that I have given him such a lot of totally free advice!
He appears not to regard himself as lucky. I can see his point.

Perhaps I should review my level of help where there is no problem solving interest.
Many people would regard that as a late Christmas present.

DIYnot

is a site setup to help people like myself, who have tried and failed, this is a free site !!!.

And yes i do regard myself as a little unlucky due to the fact that i tried and failed that got in what i assumed was a professional company who appear to have bodged it somewhat possibly, so yes i am a little unlucky in that sense.

Tony if you don't want to give free advice i suggest you setup a premium rate number a ask people to call you on that mate and stay away from sites like this one which are FREE.

Your advice in the most was constructive but also insulting and condescending, we cannot all be masters of the trade like you apparently are, obviously every job you have ever done has been without incident and other must aspire to your ultimate perfection :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i appreciate the advice that i have been given, but TONY your attitude stinks mate and you need to go talk to someone about it, or look in the mirror and have a word with yourself at the very least.

:idea:

I think that the only aspect of my advice that you did not like is when I advised that if you call someone for free that you should not expect to get a professional diagnosis.

We dont go anywhere for free and always charge for diagnostic work which I consider is the only way to properly run a business.

If I worked for free then I would be working 24 hours a day.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back