Power flush advised-will it help??-combi boiler-hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have been advised by BG to have a power flush and from looking on forums not an an unusual suggestion. Does it does reasonable?

Situation is that I have a Worcester 35 CDi combination boiler. The problem is that whilst the hot tap tap is running the boiler intermittently shuts off and then short while fires back up again so for example you end up with a tepid bath.

BG have been done a number of checks, changed some sensors which has not resolved the issue. Engineer (after discussion with BG and Worcester support) believes that some debris is reducing flow through the boiler and therefore water temp rises too much much and therefore shuts off.

He recommends that a power flush should clear this debris. Having checked my radiators some of them do indeed have cold spots at the bottom suggesting there may well be sludge in the radiator. However the central heating side of the boiler seems to work fine and have not noted it shutting off intermittently when the central heating is running.

My question is that will power flushing the central heating "side" of the boiler help with this issue which seems to affect the hot water "side" of the boiler?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the plate HE is blocked or possibly even scaled. Unless they've previously advised you of a problem with your system then replacement of this part should be covered. A standard powerflush won't always clear a plate heat exchanger, and its a bit overkill if you ask me. If its scaled up then it won't make the slightest bit of difference! Get the lazy sh1te back to replace the plate heat exchanger is my advice.

Descale and clean Plate to plate, run cleaner through system and drain off, remove each rad and flush with hose.
Install spirovent.......

Cheaper than a BG fitter ;)

Has the comment about the cold spots on radiators gone unheeded or are people just offering 'quick fix' to problems now? its only going to get crapped up again...

Sponsored Links
Has the comment about the cold spots on radiators gone unheeded or are people just offering 'quick fix' to problems now? its only going to get c****d up again...

well cold spots on a few rads is not always sludge, so I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions, thats what the BG engineers like to do.
How do you know its sludge in the plate HE? Could be the cleanest system in the world.

Has the comment about the cold spots on radiators gone unheeded or are people just offering 'quick fix' to problems now? its only going to get c****d up again...

Whats this then
Descale and clean Plate to plate, run cleaner through system and drain off, remove each rad and flush with hose.
Install spirovent.......

Not a quick job by any means, note the spirovent. ;)

And its ALWAYS bg engineers jumping to conclusions, because we all know independent installers are SO much more honest.... do BG engineers call independents rogue traders just because of the odd few on shown on the BBC??? yes there are duffers, but also engineers who i bet are far better than most.... and vastly more qualified...
yes it could be clean, could also be blocked badly..... end of the day why should BG throw money after money at someones boiler, there has to be a point where they say, no more, until YOU do something....

well cold spots on a few rads is not always sludge, so I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions, thats what the BG engineers like to do.
How do you know its sludge in the plate HE? Could be the cleanest system in the world.

and it could be utterly manky.

if no advice has been given on water quality before the h/e should have been replaced, a quote left for remedial work and the customer advised any further issues due to water quality are not covered. simple.

chances are if a customer is asking if a powerflush is needed on this forum then without being derogitatory, i doubt they have the skill or knowledge to do what you are suggesting..... after all why have a service contract?

Engineer (after discussion with BG and Worcester support) believes that some debris is reducing flow through the boiler

I'm going by this comment. This, says to me, the plate heat exchanger hasn't been removed and checked, a water sample hasn't been taken, and just an educated guess made. Does mr bgas think that you should first go for a powerflush then check the plate he next??

Thanks for replies so far. We live in lancashire and therefore assume it can't be scaled up-am I right in thinking that?

Indeed the plate heat exchanger wasn't removed, I presume the system would have to be drained down to do this. As far as I am aware no water sample was checked.

Also am not on contract to BG. A fixed price repair visit although I am under impression will not pay anything as fault not been solved so far. Enginner appeared through (although from comments so far could have perhaps looked a biit further)-just seemed a pricey option to power flush (although accept that as it takes 6-8 hours it will cost quite a bit, but quote is £680-although does include magnaclean)

How do we know EXACTLY what has/has not been done, customer even says a number of checks have been done...... besides, might not be the plate heat ex mucked up?!, I dont know I'm not there.... and I think the best advice any of us can offer the customer is, yes, given the right problem a powerflush can be very good, but like anything, it may be totally inappropriate.... they dont have to have BG do it, I'm SURE all the honest independents would turn down a flush if it was presented to them...
The independent water test afterward would see how good they do it.

Hello. I have been advised by BG to have a power flush and from looking on forums not an an unusual suggestion. Does it does reasonable?
Lazy ass should have fixed the boiler not presumed something needed doing which happens not to be covered in contract and will probably earn him a commission.

All to familiar story.

Looked at a job (10 yrs + with BG contract) recently where the pump had failed.

British gas 'engineer' says pump probably failed cus system needs flushing which costs £900 and if you do that may aswell have a new boiler.
Then leaves without changing pump :?:

well we could ask the OP seeing as he is still posting :idea:

the facts remain. if he suspected the PHE is blocked then it should have been removed to see what with. if it needed replacing he should be doing it if there has been no mention of water quality before.

i feel a recall coming on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back