Central heating pressure irregularity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating pressure keeps fluctuating. When switched off, the pressure sits at 1bar but when the CH is on, the pressure rises to 3 bar and is tripping the heating. It is a closed system with a flexcon Cubex expansion vessel. I was guided to try and re-pressurise this and have had no joy. I bled the radiators and switched off the water supply, to bring the water pressure to 0. Testing the air valve nothing has come out (I assume this is causing the issue) I tried re-charging with a foot pump but to no avail, the system would not take any air in. I have stripped the shrader (spl) valve and replaced but still have had no joy re-charging. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the system needs to be open when you re-pressurise the vessel. Put a hose on a drain off somewhere open it up and then repressurise making sure there's a path to the drain off from the vessel. You'll probably need to change the PRV as well.

the system needs to be open when you re-pressurise the vessel. Put a hose on a drain off somewhere open it up and then repressurise making sure there's a path to the drain off from the vessel. You'll probably need to change the PRV as well.

Thanks for the reply. As i am a complete noob when it comes to central heating where would I find a drain off??? sorry. Also I assume PRV = pressure relief valve.

thanks again

If you have tried recharging with a foot pump and not building any pressure then the vessell is probably knackard - split balloon, yur just pumping up the complete system!

Sponsored Links
If you have tried recharging with a foot pump and not building any pressure then the vessell is probably knackard - split balloon, yur just pumping up the complete system!
thanks, probably is the case knowing my luck, however it seemed that no air was going into the system at all.

from a foot pump it shoulnt take many pumps to get the vessell up to 1 bar from flat, so its either your vessell or your pump which is knackard, if you completely remove the vessell and then pump it you will soon see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back