central heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me advise on a problem with my central heating. My heating and hot water are timed to come on @7am which works fine however when everything reaches the required temperatures everything shuts down as normal but willnot re start when temperature drops. the only way i can get the boiler to start is by turning the motorised valve with a screwdriver it the rotates once around to the central heating position and the heating then comes on. I have to do this every time except for first thing in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the cylinder stat is working if this is a 3 port valve?

If not sounds like you need to replace the valve head at least, or perhaps the whole valve.

Is this a momo valve?

Set the timer to come on and off for separate times, that will give you an idea where to start looking.
Sounds like very old controls, you might consider not wasting time and money repairing, but update the controls

Thanks for the replies dave and bengasman.
When i returned home from work today @5pm the heating and water which was set to come on from 7am to 10pm had come on and run until 9.30am and failed to start back up . I then just turned up the stat on the cylinder from 40 to 50 this then caused the three way valve to turn from central heating to heating and water and the boiler ignited. After a few hours i set the timer to come on and off at five minute intervals with a variation of heating and hot water and separatly heatin then water. all this seemed to work so i am baffled why it only comes on once during the day.
the controls are switchmaster and they are 16 years old and have never given me problems before. About 9.30 this evening i heard rumbling noises in the airing cupboard when i investigated the header tank in the loft was getting warm with gusshes of hot water coming from the top of the cylinder pipe so i just turned it all of and reset for the morning .

Sponsored Links
Actually I am a constructor I have constructed many apartment duplexes, shopping malls and many things. But from the past 2 years my business is suffering a lot. Many of my apartments are empty what can I do except reduction in cost which will effect my goodwill in the market. What I want is to make my built apartment and duplexes much more attractive, if someone comes to see by apartment then they should purchase it without thinking. For that what I have to do please suggest. It will be very helpful.

A decade of Brown/Blair is taking its toll on the economy and prices are falling, apart from a few areas regardless of what real estate sales people say. Some cities now have an oversupply of flats and many have been on the market for months and are not selling. I would think twice before spending money to make them look nicer, rent them out or flog them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back