Central heating Pump issue

Back again. Getting new system installed soon but need heat now. New pump sorted problem for a day all rads roasting hot. Gone back to old situation upstairs warm downstairs cold. So. Drained whole system emptied rads. Then sealed them up and let system flush all air out via drain valve. Filled from ground up bleeding air out. All good confident no air in system. Fired boiler up with rads upstairs warm and all cold downstairs. Stumped!

Sponsored Links
BG engineer finally fitted a new pump 3 days ago after trying, almost, everything else. The new pump sorted it. I took the old pump apart and the inlet was very nearly completely blocked with magnetite or whatever the fancy name for that crap is. He fitted a nice new Grandfoss pump with pretty lights on the front and it runs a lot cooler and everything is working. All my rads are new and as I have absolutely no intention of changing any of the pipe runs I bought and fitted a Magna Clean that came with a bottle of cleaner and a bottle of preventer. Cleaner is in and I'll let that run round for a few days then I'll bung the preserver in. It's easy with a Magna Clean, I should have fitted one of them a long time ago.

Sponsored Links
I'm now taking a guess that it's gravity fed and not a sealed system? Given the new pump got it running ok, even if just for a day, means that the system will work but there has to be a restriction/air lock somewhere, you may want to try back filling with a mains feed.

You could always check at each rads flow and return and make sure you have flow at both ends.

Update. Good news. Having done everything I could think of I was stumped as what to do next. Anyway woke this morning and could hear a bubbling noise coming from pipes. Having drained whole system and purged all the air I was surprised to think that air could be present. So did some more research and took a look at the thermo control unit. Moved the latch into the manual position and heard a rush of water. Half hour later heating working full blast. Think the control valve has failed and that it was restricting flow ( if that’s possible) so left in manual locked position. Very happy. In fact too hot!!! never thought I would be saying that.

E4C68364-6A4F-48C2-AC9B-B53E40D95D01.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back