Central Heating pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old commodore 130-45 pump has packed up, Myson the new owners of the firm say a CP35 will be a direct replacement, but I've seen a DAB pump at Toolstation (local to me, hence no postage) does anyone know if this also would be a straight swap?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it would, but aGrundfos would be a more reliable replacement!

Keith.

Thanks for the reply, I've just checked the "Hot water only" position on the controller and the other pump, the SMC Controller isn't turning at all. Myson seemed to be saying it should, though very quietly. This is similar to the commodore but with 3 ports.
We want to replace the whole system and just keep the Bosch system boiler, but don't want to lose the "free" heat from our open fire's backboiler. Have you any experience with pressurized water cylinders. There would be 3 sources of heat, electric emersion, multifuel with back boiler and the bosch oil fired boiler. I know we are mad, but any comments welcome.
cheers

you are not allowed to run an unvented cylinder on solid fuel as there is no safety interlock to cut off the heat if overheating occurs.

Sponsored Links
Not even with a pressure relief valve, like in a combi-boiler. sorry if it's a stupid question.

So perhaps a better idea would be to do away with the back boiler and just have a multifuel to heat the lounge, a unvented tank for the mixer shower and hot water, and a suitable control system? Is it possible to regulate the temps of the tank and the radiators at different levels, given that the water temp from the boiler is set at the boiler? ie once the water in the tank is at a certain temp, no more heat is added and the rads get the full flow from the boiler until the tank temp drops again?

Have a look at Y plan and S plan systems. Cylinder stat controls temperature of hot water, Room stat controls temperature of rads. Stat calls for heat, boiler and pump are energised, putting hot water through either or both circuits. Once set temperature is reached the system will shut down supply to that circuit, be it cylinder or rads, other circuit will continue to heat if required.

Not even with a pressure relief valve, like in a combi-boiler. sorry if it's a stupid question.

No because if it blew you would need to repressurise the system and the regs clearly state an interlock that cuts off the heat source is required and at present no unvented cylinders are designed and CE marked for use with solid fuel.

you are not allowed to run an unvented cylinder on solid fuel as there is no safety interlock to cut off the heat if overheating occurs.

You can, you just need a bit of competence.

And don't start quoting regulations or BS (BullShi@t) cos I shall just say stuff them. lol :LOL:

good luck to the original poster if he can find somebody who will install and register with a suitable competant person scheme an unvented cylinder when the unvented water regs and bpec state an unvented cylinder should not be fitted to a solid fuel boiler.

You can, you just need a bit of competence.

And don't start quoting regulations or BS (BullShi@t) cos I shall just say stuff them. lol :LOL:

The British Standards are believe it or not designed for a reason ie safety so accidents like the recent event where a young child lost their life due to an immersion heater having no thermal cut off do not occur.

I pity your customers if you are a professional if that is your attitude to regulations..

many thanks for all the posts. We shall not be a using backboiler with a sealed system. We shall prob change the system boiler for a new oil condensing combiboiler(if such a thing exists). This way we get rid of hot water tank and have a multifuel without a back boiler. Just hope the old pumps and cylinder last till we get it sorted.
Many thanks to all.

May I just add that a pump is olny as good as the system its installed on.

I changed a grundfos which was 18 months old today.

Sludged to 'muck'.

David

gasacs wrote

The British Standards are believe it or not designed for a reason

Ok lets have it then. The BS relating to the safety of UV cylinders using solid fuel as a heat source.

ie safety so accidents like the recent event where a young child lost their life due to an immersion heater having no thermal cut off do not occur.

An extract from one of my sources.................

The standard relatiing to immersion heaters is EN60335 which was introduced in 1999 and following a five year transitional period became obligatory in April 2004.
After this date, all immersion heaters for domestic hot water systems have to comply with EN60335-2-73, which requires an over temperature cut out to be incorporated to prevent water exceeding 98C.

You were not aware of this. Now you are.

I pity your customers if you are a professional if that is your attitude to regulations..

Complying with regulations that some numpty in an office has written up just to keep himself in a job will not increase safety.
I pity your customers if you have to quote regulations to them due to your lack of knowledge with heating systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back