Central Heating Repair Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my next door neighbour had the 3 port valve in her central Heating system changed 2 weeks ago. Coincidentally, mine went last week. I am lucky enough to be able to fit a new one my self, but upon talking to her she says she paid £220 to have it replaced. Is this a normal price? (He used 3 cans of freeze it, a new valve, and about an hour in time).

Sponsored Links
trenarren said:
Hi, my next door neighbour had the 3 port valve in her central Heating system changed 2 weeks ago. Coincidentally, mine went last week. I am lucky enough to be able to fit a new one my self, but upon talking to her she says she paid £220 to have it replaced. Is this a normal price? (He used 3 cans of freeze it, a new valve, and about an hour in time).

Er, NO!

An hour's labour, about £25-50 tops, materials, another £50 perhaps, £75-100 I would have said.

Hi, I thought as much! The valve cost me £45, the Freeze-it cant have been worth more then £30. i've suggested to her (if they don't come back with a more realistic price) to get an itemised receipt, so we can take it further from there. She has used the firm for years, but he retired last year and its now being run by relatives of him.
She is an old age pensioner!

I would not charge as much as £220, but I would not supply a valve for no more than it cost me. Some valves cost me £58 + VAT , (Some makes are cheaper, but they may not always fit the system). I am not going to obtain a valve and supply it for the same as I paid for it. Shops buy something and sell at at twice what they paid for it. They have to, or go out of business (and even then some do). Unfortunately the firm is unlikely to have done anything illegal, if they have, speak to the Trading Standards Office.

How soon did they get round to fix the problem? Jobs can be done cheaper if you are prepared to wait, but if you want it done the same day it will cost more.

Why did YOU not fix your next door neighbours valve?

I have a valve to replace this week, job will be around £150, I also had a valve to sort, where nothing needed replacing, cost less than £50 to free the valve. Same day service, 1/2 hr travel and an hour to diagnose and sort it, (and it was a Saturday).

You will find someone works for years, and the prices don't change much as the years go on, as he's paid for what he wants and then it's just maintenance income. Someone else starts, and they have to get enough to stay in business their costs are different, and who is going to look after them when they can no longer earn?

Sponsored Links
I cannot understand how a tradesman can be expected to give free estimates (can take take 3 to 4 hours to prepare), supply materials at trade price (forgetting that the installer has to take time out to locate, supply and the sometimes chase the makers when the item turns out to be defective)

If a clients wants to supply the item, I have no objection. In this case I do not have to sit in the traffic or have to worry about an item being faulty.

I don't think its a million miles out....an hour in travelling to pick the part up and get to the job and an hour to fit it = £80 plus £65 for a honeywell valve (more for a 28mm) plus £25 for the spray, plus £30 vat. That gets us to £200 and thats with parts at trade.

I agree with all of the above (except the complaint).. This sounds like a case of chinese whispers. It is impossible to judge whether it is expensive without knowing all the facts. If it is a Plumber that the person has used for years he is highly unlikely to have called him to do the job in the first place if he is expensive. Why do people just like to have a go at our trade !!!!

I'd need a VERY good reason to freeze the pipes around a 3-port valve rather than drain the system... Freezing is potentially expensive and time-consuming in itself.

OK - expensive corrosion inhibitor and / or known refilling problems MIGHT justify it but I'd also like to look at the water coming out of the system to see if that might be a cause of the original valve failing!

22 or 28mm pipes are likely to be tricky to freeze and if the valve is near the top of the system, you'd not need to take out that much water anyway. I'll be working on a system later today which has been plumbed in such a way that I can probably isolate the valve without draining at all.

Anyway, most 3-port problems are not the valve itself but in the actuator. That can be changed 'dry' with most valve designs. A motor change is even easier and cheaper....

However, I'd agree with the majority. Changing the whole valve (by whatever means) means at least a couple of hours and expensive parts. So £200 is quite reasonable.

I think you might be deluding yourself by comparing the cost you had to pay for a valve, and fitting it yourself, with sourcing and supplying and fitting the valve for someone else. If it goes wrong, you will have to go and replace it FOR NOTHING!!

I keep forgetting that members of the public expect fully qualified, insured and reputable tradesman to attend their problems and sort them out for the love of doing it.

Why do we get so much greif about making money when huge big corperations return 250million profits, belive it or not they do this by marking up the goods they sell to the public. I know what a cheek they should pass them on cost

Never mind about £250million. Barristers get upwards of £250 per hour, accountants get £120 plus an hour, and how long would you spend on a job if you just pick it up and put it down, say 1/2 an hour. I could do even less than I do now!!!

I don't necessarily mind people getting large amounts, but I get irritated when some of those well paid people expect me to work for £20 an hour and pay after several weeks.

Corgiman pleeeeease change your signature.

"Good advice costs nowt" gives the wrong impression. It's cost me quite a bit to get enough knowledge to give advice, how about you?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back