Central Heating stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My central heating has been working fine right up until last night. No strange nosied. No performance problems etc.

This morning I woke up to no heating or hot water. I can periodically hear the boiler make the usual noises as if the heating is going to come on but after maybe 1 minutes it stops again.

Overnight, we had very heavy snow. Could this be related. Could driving snow have blocked something external etc?

Many thanks for any help

Mike

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I'm in work and have just decided to find some forums. I don't have the boiler type.

More info, last night, I bled the radiator in the kitchen and released quite a lot of air. This rad is right next to the boiler. Could this be related.

Thanks again

Mike

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
white it's been snowing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL:

mike ......does the boiler have a pilot light? some can be snuffed out if there is enough snow lying on the flue.

really need the boiler type, age, system type etc to help you more.

It certainly is if you failed to top up the boiler system pressure after bleeding.

Top cause of boiler failure when overactive owners go bleeding. It solves nothing and causes boiler failure.

Toping it up will probably restore operation but an overheat protection may have operated.

Tony

Pilot light is fine.

I'll try two things:

Clear the flu of any Snow

Top up system - I have noticed when the heating is off, the Pressure Gauge is on the red line

Underneath my poiler, I have a silver braided pipe with a black tap on it. Is this what i turn to top up system?

The boiler is maybe 5 years old and up until now has worked perfectly.

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back