Central heating system fitted in one day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question. Can a new central heating system be fitted in one day?

It will be fitted in an empty (no furniture etc) 3 bed semi that's had all previous ch system, pipes and rads removed already. Floorboards are up where old pipes went (notches in joists could be reused as all of the new upstairs rads will be in same place, downstairs floor is solid)

Assuming plastic pipes will be used due to timeframe?? Also assume loads of pushfits ( any views on modern pushfits?) will be used due to timeframe (would prefer copper and soldered joints but surely this wouldn't be possible in one day??)

Combi
New pipework
9 Rads

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just been quoted for doing it in a day, thought it was optimistic so wanted to see if if was poss. I'm assuming there'll be about 3-4 in a team

Sponsored Links
It would need people who are happy and experienced at working in a team. It would only take one who was not fully minded to help to prevent the one day installation from being completed.

Plus it needs full planning to ensure the rads were correct size and all the fittings available.

Not at all impossible for an experienced team with a good leader.

Just an update. Team of 4, all experienced, came and got the job done in a day. Never stopped from the moment they arrived till they'd done (not even for a brew). Each one had a specific role, worked like clockwork, they do a lot of these jobs together. All copper pipes etc Done a crackin job.

Sparky came next day for his bit.

All in all, very happy. So, yes....it can be done in a day....with the right people.

was just going to answer , easily done in a day and doing it proper in copper

I just replaced all of my system, similar job to the op in 3 days by myself.
All in hep2o.
I don't understand the obsession with copper from some plumbers.
I was wary of push fittings at the beginning, but now, some 15-20 years later, I see copper joints leak but never plastic.
Hep2o gives 50 years guarantee, there must be something to make them so confident.
I've done a test on a 17 year old hep2o fitting by removing the o-ring.
It is perfectly flexible and in immaculate condition.
Of course there are instances where copper works better and I use it (radiator tails for example and tight spaces), but I still don't get the adversity towards progress.
I'm sure when they changed lead to copper, some plumbers carried on thinking lead was better.

Just an update. Team of 4, all experienced, came and got the job done in a day. Never stopped from the moment they arrived till they'd done (not even for a brew). Each one had a specific role, worked like clockwork, they do a lot of these jobs together. All copper pipes etc Done a crackin job.

Sparky came next day for his bit.

All in all, very happy. So, yes....it can be done in a day....with the right people.
Did they solder or use pushfit or both?

Blup

Johnny, suppose given time and lack of natural resources, plastic will be the norm, good to know that the o-rings hold up, as that was my main concern.

Blup, soldered :)

When we bought our first house in 1984 it had no central heating and we had a Sanier Duval combi boiler and 8 rads fitted in one day by a similar size team. I paid £1,350 for it. Not only that, when they tested the gas pressure at the meter, the pressure dropped like a stone. They found it was a pipe I had run from the meter to a gas fire in the front room - I’d just used compression joints! I remember that they charged me an extra £40 to re-do that.

Hi
All depends on how many rads you have and size of those - we have some double vertical rads massive ones and a two-man job - so it can be does as per you post but depends on how many rads, rooms and how many people working on the system but a good 12 hour day I guess with two people and ordinary smaller rads.

Push fit are ok, obviously more than one installer it can be done in a day.

When you get a quote this info is for everyone, always ask if they are using any push-fit stuff as we got caught out on one of our rnetals when we had a new bathroom inc shower at a rental. The pushfit leaked a couple of days ;ater in the loft of a bungalow and good job I'd gone back to check it ie the new bioiler was working and no leaks re bathroom etc. The gut returned the same day no apogy and muttered "it was loose" - thanfully damaged was limited to a foot square and a bit of zinner pait did the trick a few days later.

Up until that time I thought people installing bathrooms and new boilers only used copper and solder. - guy called him self a "plumber" my foot

I've had speedfit in for 20 years without any problems but I will either replace with tectite classic or solder when I "remodel" the bathroom suite. The company that changed the lead main to plastic used tectite classic on the inside connections, they are smaller than speedfit and removeable.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back