central heating very loud banging pipes & no heat :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry as im at work im unsure of boiler etc but just recently the radiators upstairs were getting hot but not downstairs, Id have to turn off radiators upstairs and then the downstairs ones would get hot but this has been getting worse so now only two radiators upstairs get hot and no others and if I turn them of (the working ones) the downstairs ones still dont get hot. Not only this but fairly often now when you turn the heating on the pipes really bang like someones kicking the pipes or hitting them with a hammer this is worrying so weve turned the heating off any ideas please?

Sorry for the lack of details but im at work and not able to check but will report more if people reply tonight.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just an update,

Ive took the big screw out of the centre of the pump and put the screwdriver inside and the pump is spinning round so thats obviously working. I then heard a noise from the Mid Point Actuator so took the body off that and realised that the pin that turns doesnt move..doh! so it looks like thats whats causing the problem.

Going to pick one up tomorrow morning so will let you know how I get on.

thanks

well, i reckon you should get yer magnet out. ooooerr missus,
just a thought, its friday, and why not?

:LOL: god i miss those red hats, roll on xmas.

i dont :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

check the three port valve :idea:

Magnet?? What you mean?

Ive just phoned plumbing centre and its going to cost £65 + VAT for the 3 way valve :(

Sponsored Links
:D relax winston, well im no expert , assuming your header tank is full, the symptoms you prescribe, ie upstairs rads/downstairs rads etc dont point to 3 port valve. do a search errr.... for "banging"

:LOL:

anyway the real experts will be on , errr later on, for sure..
and p£ss on my bonfire.

:LOL:

everything points to the pump...are you checking its rotation hot as they often need to swell up a bit before they stick

more info,

When turning the heating and hot water on there are 3 pipes one coming from pump (Grundfos) to actuator (drayton) and then one coming from actuator to tank and one going down to radiators. The one from pump gets red hot and goes upto the actuator, the one from actuator to tank gets hot all the way and the one from actuator to rads is only hot at point of actuator, 12" down its still cold so water definately not going that way round but cant turn the know on actuator as it only moves a tiny bit and makes no difference either way which is why i think its that. The pipes no longer bang but could have been because pressure was building up as it was not going anywhere. hope this info helps abit more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back