central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this forum,but here goes, just been round to my dads bungalow, hot water ok, but no central heating,put my hand on the pump, it was red hot!, went in to the loft, and the expansion tank was full of hot water. That can't be right can It?...Guess what, checked his documents, and new system was fitted 13 months ago with 12 months warranty!
Is it possible the pump has stuck?

Sponsored Links
Could be. Most pumps will come with more than 12 months warranty. Depends on the warranty date stamped on them and how long they were 'on the shelf'.

If it was really hot then it suggests it may be stuck. Try undoing the large silver screw in the middle and putting a flat blade screwdriver in and seeing if you can turn it.

If waters ok though it could be a zone valve problem.

If this was my installation I would still come out under warranty as a good will gesture to inspect it.

Hi Thanks Dave, the pump is a Circulating Pump CP53 from down your way,bit in the middle is just a nut that turns one way then the other, no water comes out, got a black plastic cover on it, says warrantty till 311008
regards pete. :)

I don't fit this make, but I think if you loosen the bit in the middle it may pull forward to engage the shaft so you can turn it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,Thanks Dave, Got no joy from the people who fitted it, so I removed the pump,after closing the stop cocks either side of the pump. opened up the pump, rusty as hell, and stuck solid,got the only pump in Wickes, a 6m head Wilo-gold £45 quid. put it on and all working now,Still concerned that the tank in the loft is full of hot water, and the expansion pipe is below the water level of the tank,I think this is wrong.Should the system have some sort of anti rust stuff in it, There is a label on the bioler to say it was treated in july 2006, how long does this last?Suspect it needs re-doing
regards Pete. :)

Open vent should NOT be below water level :eek:

Level in expansion tank should be about 2"-3" above cold fill outlet when system is cold. This will rise about 2" or so as system gets hot.

Water in tank would be 'warm' when system on, but certainley not hot.

I am wondering that as the vent is below water level it could be treating the exp tank as a radiator!

The system should not be full of rust and should have been flushed and cleansed originally at the installation, then a good inhibitor added, eg fernox or X100 to protect it and lubricate the pump.

Something is very basically wrong with this installation, and you should have not had to pay for a pump that was under warranty :rolleyes:

I give a 12 month warranty on my installations, but any component (except radiators) that comes with a 2 year warranty I would always change FOC within that warranty period.

Insist that your installer comes back and corrects the fault. I hate to think what else they have got wrong.

Unless this is fixed asap the boiler could be the next thing to fail :eek:

probably hasn't helped when you replaced with a larger head pump especially if the pump was located wrongly in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back