Ceramic Tile Adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!!

I'm in the process of tiling my new bathroom, as I have a large area to do I went for a large sack of powdered tile adhesive. I got this from B&Q, it was called Rapid Fix Ceramic Tile Adhesive and also said suitable for floors and walls. I merrily fixed one wall last night, staggerered the tiles 'old stylie' looks great. This morning I was looking at the small print in the instructions and to my horror it says not suitable for painted surfaces... I have fixed them to walls that have been replastered, sealed and painted.

Am I going to get back from work to find a bathfull of broken tiles...?

I've got everything crossed...

Cheers,

j

Sponsored Links
Should be a phone number helpline on the tin, give them a ring because it maybe some certain paint is suitable......

Hi masona,

Thanks for this, I gave the Unibond helpline a call earlier, they said that cement based adhesives may fail if there is movement in the wall (not a problem for me, it's 60 yr old blockwork, plastered) they also said that the cement may 'eat' into the plaster...? something about the alkalinity...

I then phoned my trade tiling shop, he said that there ain't no probelm with the adhesive properties, his only coment was that it sometimes doesn't 'grab' as well as the pre-mixed stuff.

So I'm no clearer really, I'm 1/4 through the bathroom tiling and I've got a load to do in the kitchen behind the range. I'm tempted to go and get a 15kg bucket of pre-mixed... only £18 or something.

Is it a water base paint ? I would've thought if you try and force 1 tile off the wall and see how strong it is. If it comes off easy then remove it all as you have only done 25% of it.
I'm tempted to go and get a 15kg bucket of pre-mixed... only £18 or something.
The problem is, if you don't go this route you won't stop thinking about it ! Don't worry about wasting money, you're already saving money by doing it yourself !

Sponsored Links
Yes, it was water-based paint. You're right, I will keep thinking about it, plus the wife wouldn't forgive me if a tile peeled off and hit one of the kids!

Cheers,

j

The manufacturers will always cover themselves with statements like this.
What concerns me more is if you adhesive needs to be of the waterproof type. This depends if it will only recieve splashback water from baths or sinks, or direct contact from showers etc. ) If it is only splashback, and the tiles have stck firmly you should be OK.
Either way use a god quality waterproof grout to finish them off.
Hope this has not given you false hope

:confused: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back