Certificate for Electrical Installations 2382-10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any qualified assessor or knowedgeable electrician explain what use can be made of the above assessment Certificate on the 17th Edition?

As far as I can see it does not give any abilities in relation to Part P Notifications?

Tony

Sponsored Links
2382 is a certificate to say you have passed the City and Guilds exam on the current 17th edition regs. a 60 question multiple choice exam.

Part P is a completely different requirement.

The 2382 is one of the basic requirements you need before you start the process of becoming registered with a company like NICEIC, and gain the ability to sign off your own work (In a dwelling) i.e.Part P

As the above poster correctly says, 2382 is a qualification that infers no abilitity to self certify electrical work... to do that, you need to be registered with a scheme (of which the 2382 is likely to be a requirement of)

Best bet would be to phone Corgi (I assume you are looking to be able to notify minor electrical work carried out as part of gas installations?) and ask them what technical qualifications you need to join their defined scope part P scheme, I'd actually be quite supprised if they said you needed more than 2382!!

Obviously you'd need copies of BS7671 and the OSG, test instruments, PLI which covers you for electrical work, and a few other things like copies of GN3 and Guidance to EAWA

(Oh and probably give them quite a bit more money :LOL: )

I fully understand that to Notify work you need to be a member of a "scheme" such as those run by NICEIC, Napit and last and least CORGI !

However, would the 2382 be the only Certification needed?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think Ive misunderstood

As for what use the 2382 is, its only an indication (at best) that you know the regulations, it does not show or prove that you can actually do the installation work or know what your talking about.

If you are looking to join a scheme, I think it states that to have 2382 is a minimal requirement,
There are a few hoops you have to jump through which are all explained on the scheme sites

Each scheme has different requirements for enrolment, some will allow you to enrol if you have passed C&G2382 (17th), others require you to have passed C&G2391.
I believe NAPIT for instance require the latter.
All C&G2382 proves to me is you know how to navigate the red book, doesn't mean you know how to understand it and put it into practice.

The definition of competence includes relevant knowledge, experience and skill to carry out electrical work safely.

Regardless of your intentions, in order to comply with the current edition of The IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671) you need to have a working knowledge of that standard. A basic requirement of all the 'competent persons' schemes is demonstration of such knowledge.

One way of demonstrating such a knowledge is by holding a relevant qualification - the City & Guilds 2382-10 is tailored to that end. Equally acceptable may be a trade qualification (such as the 2330) studied under the current regulations.

As Spark123 has said though, knowing how to find things in the big red book does not necessarily imply competence on its own. It does, however, demonstrate, that you at least know where to look!

However, would the 2382 be the only Certification needed?

Tony

When I booked the 2382 I was told the engineers must have obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course or approved equivalent. They were also told to bring their certificates otherwise they would not be able to sit the 3 day course and exam.

I'm not sure if this the norm but as far as I'm aware, 2382 is not a stand alone qualification, it's an update course for qualified sparks.

I know of a guy who installs roller shutters, he's got no electrical training at all and he's just taken his 2382-10.
The only time I've heard the request for previous exams is when booking the 2382-20 (update) and then they'll want to see you've completed your 2381 before allowing you to take the update course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back