CH Boiler in Garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering options for moving my 22 year old (just serviced and still in great nick) Potterton gas floor standing boiler out of the kitchen. A big reason is so that I don't need to have so many vents which, depending on wind direction, can make the room and neighbouring rooms, cold and draughty. I don't want to switch to wall-mounted balanced flue in the kitchen as I'd also like to build a lean-to conservatory the other side of the wall. So siting a new boiler on the external wall of the attached garage seems like an option to consider.
My question at the moment is regarding the potential fire risk. I use the garage to park and sometimes service my motorbike (petrol fumes) but at other times may also produce inflammable fumes from things like paint, white spirit, etc. or produce fine dust as the garage is also my workshop. Would a boiler be sufficiently isolated from the garage atmosphere to make this a non-issue? Basically I'm at the "eliminate unviable options" stage. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not sure of the jist of your reply, but I understand that the boiler will take its air from the outside of the wall and then vent straight to the outside. I guess my question was to do with how well sealed boilers are from the atmosphere of the room in which they are located and therefore to what extent they may be affected by it.

Sponsored Links
If it is room sealed, then why do oyu need all the vents in the kitchen?
I think you've mis-read the issue. I want to move the boiler out of the kitchen and replace it with a room-sealed, wall mounted boiler in the garage. The kitchen vents will then not be needed for boiler ventilation and can be fully or partially sealed up.

your not clear in your first post.

do you want to move your old boiler, or buy a new one?

The boiler in the garage would be a new one. The old boiler would be disposed of. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Kev was getting at, you cant have an open flued appliance in a garage or anywhere near petrol, lpg or any other flamables.

Of course, if you're moving to a new room sealed boiler, you could keep it in the kitchen and still not need to keep the vents.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the bit about the conservatory. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back