CH fitters not gas safe reistered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have had CH fiited by fitters giving out an invalid Gas Safe number.

I have paid them and am having little response from them now. His wife has just told me he will call me soon.

The boiler springs into action when the cold water taps are used. Immediately after running only a cold tap (no hot or heating) the boiler makes a noise similar to when I run the hot water tap. I understand this should not happen.

There are pipes proud of concrete. Their concrete is shy of the floor. I could level. This would leave the pipes approx 4 mm below floor surface (in kitchen). I understand this is not regualtion depth.

Just now I checked his gas safe number and it is invalid.

Now, I am wondering how best to deal with this.

Obviously if he cannot provide me with a valid number I will report him to gas safe. I will have to get a gas safe registered fitter to check and correct the work.

I hope I can take legal action to recover some of the money I paid the fitter. He was very cheap (I know this was short sighted of me). Does anyone have any pointers how best to do this. I have only a website, a land line number and mobile for these fitters. Noone else except me saw them in my flat.

It gets worse. I paid these fitters using my debit card. Coincidentally 2 days later my account was cleaned out by fraudulent transactions using these card details and the bank are refusing to cover this so I have no money for my mortgage or to finish my flat. This is another story but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

This follows on from my previous thread "Boiler works for cold water" //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187408.

Sponsored Links
You should report the fraudulent transaction to the Police and give them details of the fitters.

They seem well set up to con people unless they are using some other peoples card acceptance. You could check that out.

To report someone for illegal gas work you really need their name and address. You may be able to check that through the landline number.

Its a trading standards offence to preteend to be gas registered so a complainst there will be more effective as they have good fines.

I am sorry but you have really been negligent not to have at the minimum checked their registration number before they started.

Your bank "should" cover the losses. Why have they refused? How was the money taken and through which card accepter? All things you can investigate and pass on the details to the Police.

Tony

report it to gas safe regardless of how much detail you have. They are claiming to be really cracking down on this kind of stuff, and I would be interested to here how they respond to your case. If it were me I'd pretend to be a new customer and arrange for him to come and have a look at something, somewhere and make my feelings known ;)

Question I have for the OP is, would you be considering reporting these rascals if you did not have issues with work done? When you accepted the low price, did you expect to be presented with a stirling instal?

Sponsored Links
Question I have for the OP is, would you be considering reporting these rascals if you did not have issues with work done? When you accepted the low price, did you expect to be presented with a stirling instal?

Question I would have for you guys on here is how the hell do you get any work with the levels of your literacy? ``stirling instal` for God`s sake if this is the height of competence we are faced with then it`s all over. Mickyg is another illiterate the same as yourself pulling people to pieces and lording it over the Forum yet barely literate. Frikkin embarrassing. :rolleyes:

Hail Legion lord of spell check. ;)

Fek got a mate who cant even spell his own name but just about the best roofer around no one can touch his work.....

No one deserves to be ripped off but unfortunately you have to take a large slice of the blame....how did you know about them? Did you get 2 or more quotes? if so were these guys stupidly cheaper? all this and no references asked for and no checks done as to the validity of their gas safe registration........

I know times are tough but usually the old sayings are true.....you get what you pay for. In this case a poor install and no come backs....

Fek got a mate who cant even spell his own name but just about the best roofer around no one can touch his work.....
Is that cos no one's eighteen foot tall? :LOL:

Hail Legion lord of spell check. ;)

Probably why he is on roof, ;) Doesn`t ring a bell in Nostradam does he? Can`t get a bird?

Half of my job involves paperwork. Most of my customers/employers expect me too bee able too spelll. It gives a certain professional air, :rolleyes:

Doesn`t help when you are giving it all on a public Forum, taking people down then being exposed as an illiterate, that`s my point. :rolleyes:

You could always put spaces in the correct places. Pot kettle black.

You could always use apostrophes in the correct places. :rolleyes: This is getting Girlie ,point made, let me tell you where I am........... I`m out.

getting girlie and your OUT .. what are you trying to tell us Legion

Trolling.. look it up boys, you are embarassing yourselves....

You should report the fraudulent transaction to the Police and give them details of the fitters.

The OP could report it to the Police but they will not touch this with a barge pole. It is possible, even likely, that they have committed a criminal deception but this will be very difficult to prove without a full confession from the "Gas Fitter". Where there is an alternative governing body with powers to investigate - Gas Safe?/ Trading Standards? the Old Bill will always leave it to them.

As far as the fraudulent use of his debit card is concerned the Police will accept a report but are unlikely to investigate. The bank however have to re-imburse unlawful withdrawals from the OP's account as long as the OP has taken reasonable steps to maintain the security of his card.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back