CH/HW sudden breakdown - pump starts overheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am in a new build. Central heating and hot water works perfectly. Apart from one radiator that only seems to be hot at the bottom.

This radiator is the only radiator in the house that is without one of those 'temperature spinners'. First I tried bleeding it but there was no water at all across the top half of that radiator and so nothing came out. I then bled one of my other working radiator to check water quality in the system and it is clear and clean. Then I tried turning off all radiators except the one with the problem and then bad turned worse.

CH and HW suddenly do not work anymore. But the pump still spins and makes a noise and becomes really hot. The two pipes going in and out the pump respectively are cold. I have unscrewed the screw on the face of the pump to check if the shaft is stuck and it is not. The pump keeps on doing this even with the CH and HW programme off. So I have switched power off for the pump.

Image of pump attached.
Cylinder is ThermaQ - Evocyl Standard Indirect 150L.
Boiler is Potterton Promax SL.

Please could you share your knowledge on what to do next?
Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
I see you have a filling link. You should also have a pressure gauge. What is it reading?

Hi,

Thanks for replying so quick. I don't actually know where the pressure gauge is but the closest looking thing is the meter under the red heating vessel. It reads 0 when CH is turned. Note the red needle on the meter is static and points at 3.4. But I think it was 0 when it was working fine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 468
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 420
Open both taps on the filling loop up. Someone has kindly labelled it for you.

Turn the filling loop off when the needle currently at 0 on the gauge in your picture gets to 1

Sponsored Links
Do I do this while pump is on? Gauge seems to stay at 0.

Ok, I have done that. Needle have landed on 1.1

Turn on the heating and you should be up and running again

Whenever you Bleed a radiator you need to top the pressure back up using the filling loop

Hi,

Just one more quick question please.

Now that the problem above is fixed, CH and HW is working great but my boiler is filling my cylinder with water without instruction. The temperature on the cylinder thermostat haven risen from 15 to 45 Celsius now. On the same thermostat I have tried setting the cylinder threshold temperature at 40 but this was ignored. Is this normal? What is it trying to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back