CH Thermostat issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CH Thermostat issues

Moved into a new house last month (10 year old new build)

One of the room thermostats is not working correctly. (initially thought it was the motor in the zone valve.)

However opened the thermostat up and there is no "SL" wire attached . All it has is brown,blue and yelow/green wires.

Its a salus rt200 , the blue wire is attached to neutral , earth is on earth terminal and the brown live. Soon as the boiler is turned on the motorized valve opens. If the stat is turned up full or at lowest setting it has no effect. If the power is turned of the valve closes.

Sponsored Links
How many thermostats do you have? How many zone valves? Could install a wireless thermostat, or trace wiring to wiring center and change for a battery operated one?

What we need to do is work out what was in the mind of the guy who wired it. Now when I set up my mothers old house, the morning sun hit back of house and evening sun front of house, so where every I placed the thermostat, it would be wrong either in morning or evening so I used two wired in parallel.

The wall thermostat can do many jobs, but in the main it does not control room temperature, what it does is turn off boiler when not required, room temperature is controlled by the TRV. But it not how it should or should not be wired it's how the guy who wired it thought is should be.

I in this house have a thermostat on the kitchen windowsill, it shows the temperature and the time, but not connected to anything, it is just used as a clock and thermometer.

Sponsored Links
What we need to do is work out what was in the mind of the guy who wired it. Now when I set up my mothers old house, the morning sun hit back of house and evening sun front of house, so where every I placed the thermostat, it would be wrong either in morning or evening so I used two wired in parallel.

The wall thermostat can do many jobs, but in the main it does not control room temperature, what it does is turn off boiler when not required, room temperature is controlled by the TRV. But it not how it should or should not be wired it's how the guy who wired it thought is should be.

but , the stat has no control you cannot turn the rad off or on via the stat in question . (there are no trv's on any rads they are all controlled via room stats)

i could bodge it by putting a trv on the rad but that's not how it supposed to work.

The wiring is flex, in the main wiring a house we use twin and earth, they use the green/yellow as a neutral, and over sleeving is done with tape, I am not saying this is wrong, but it points to being wired by a non professional, so one has to try and work out what his aims were.

How many thermostats do you have? How many zone valves? Could install a wireless thermostat, or trace wiring to wiring center and change for a battery operated one?

4 stats and 4 zone valves (its got underfloor heat downstairs , working fine). The four stats control heating in the four bedrooms.

You can by using battery powered wall thermostats use the wires to do what you want, I found this 20190619_063642.jpg in my house, above the thermostat is a receiver unit for another thermostat never did find the thermostat. I found three fused connection units and it was to put it simple a mess, I used the wires, but completely altered the wiring adding too zone valves and came to the conclusion the central heating could have never worked since the garage was converted into a granny flat and they must have used the wood burning fire.

I like you to start with thought well it must have worked for them, but come to conclusion no it didn't.

The wiring is flex, in the main wiring a house we use twin and earth, they use the green/yellow as a neutral, and over sleeving is done with tape, I am not saying this is wrong, but it points to being wired by a non professional, so one has to try and work out what his aims were.

i do not know much about the history of the house. So unsure about the wiring.

i am wondering if the upstairs stats have been upgraded at some point. There is evidence of old wiring. Also another strange thing all the bathroom rads are on with no trv's or control by room stats. Or maybe they are all controlled by the faulty room stat.

4 stats and 4 zone valves (its got underfloor heat downstairs , working fine). The four stats control heating in the four bedrooms.

It’s possible to go battery route if you’re able to trace the wiring, using the “neutral” as a switched live covering with brown tape or brown sleeving. Or install a wireless thermostat, receiver and wiring could be done at wiring centre. Other option might be to install TRV’s and utilise one thermostat and change for one upstairs zone?

Your wiring is not suitable for an rt200 room stat.

It would work with this Honeywell stat https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-home-dt90e-digital-room-thermostat-eco/41365

But it may need a small modification to the wiring at the main wiring centre to make it work. Simply connecting the new stat may irreparably damage the new stat and also blow the supply to the rest of the heating.

Also the wiring in your other room stat which is working is not compliant with wiring regulations.

You can use the "reply" button. No need to quote.
Bathroom rads only come on when CH is on.
[

Yes i made the assumption the wiring would not work with rt200(even though it lights up ). For some reason the stats or wiring for the stats have been changed at some point.

So do i just choose any SPST thermostat and it should work?

Last edited:
The regulation
BS 7671:2008 said:
514.4.2 Protective conductor
The bi-colour combination green-and-yellow shall be used exclusively for identification of a protective conductor and this combination shall not be used for any, other purpose.
Single-core cables that are coloured green-and-yellow throughout their length shall only be used as a protective conductor and shall not be over-marked at their terminations, except as permitted by Regulation 514.4.3.
In this combination one of the colours shall cover at least 30 % and at most 70 % of the surface being coloured, while the other colour shall cover the remainder of the surface.
A bare conductor or busbar used as a protective conductor shall be identified. where necessary, by equal green-and yellow stripes, each not less than 15 mm and not more than 100 mm wide, close together, either throughout the length of the conductor or in each compartment and unit and at each accessible position. If adhesive tape is used, it shall be bi-coloured.
The English has been questioned, I would say the full stop means it applies to all cables, but some seem to think if a multi-core you can over-mark. However I have pointed out not wired is a professional manor so you have to expect faults and anomalies where some one has not followed convention.

Even convention has a problem with central heating wiring, when the condensating, modulating boiler came out, there did not seem to be a revision in wiring, we no longer want to switch a boiler on/off to control output, we want it to gradually turn up or down, at least until it hits the lower limit, and the the boiler starts to cycle, but the conventional wiring seems to still be on/off.

We have even seen house's split into zones using the micro switches in the zones valves used to turn heating on/off, why installers don't use programmable thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) with programmable heads I don't know, at £10 each not expensive, but they don't, the installers seem to have got stuck in the past, this is what we have always done, we will continue how we have always done it attitude, which is not helped by lack of devices able to talk to boiler in an analogue manor.

The net result is people try to improve on the pre modulating boiler standard, but it is not a standard method of install, so next guy along is left scratching their head wondering what they have tried to do.

Even with non modulating boilers you get some odd ideas, when I moved into this house to put on the central heating in main house I had to walk outside down to the flat which was originally a garage under the house and plug in the pump, but turned boiler on/off with a time switch in main house, with no thermostatic control for main house other than TRV's only the flat had a thermostat and that was in kitchen. Both DHW and CH went on together, the time switch showed them separate but there were only two wires main house to flat, so no way it could have worked.

So I had to design a system that would work with only two wires, I used Nest as I could keep it powered and control both CH and DHW with two wires using extra low voltage. Not for any of the geofencing features but because it would work without fitting extra wires. And in the same way you will likely need to use battery powered thermostats because you only have two core and earth cable. And it will need some sort of as built plan to work out what does what.

I sat down with my house and worked it out C_Plan_My_HouseD-relay.jpg likely you will also need to work out some plan, this is a standard S Plan zone plan
S-Plan-zone.jpg
clearly yours is more complex, be it a block diagram or wiring diagram you will need to work out what you have. Mine was made complex due to two pumps, but there is no way I would have sorted it without drawing at least some of it out and doing a lot of testing, getting some one in will likely be expensive, as it takes time to work out what some one else has done, which is why I drew a plan of mine, as when I am older I may not be able to DIY so need to tell some one else how it is wired.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back