CH Upgrade with Digital TRV's

Strangely enough, plumbnation:-
" Many thanks for your order.
Unfortunately due to a administration error the product on your order has been released onto our website by mistake.
As the product is not yet available in the market place I will have to issue a full refund. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused."

Ahem...

These were "just" Living Eco... it's the Living Connect that seems to work with the Link CC as an interlocked system, using the Boiler Relay to replace roomstat. The manifold thingy is a different application....

I've asked Danfoss to clarify...but having spoken to local supplier this morning it looks like the Living Connect isn't available in UK for another 6 months. Take it the units I seen are imports...

Sponsored Links
and the official reply from Danfoss...

"The Danfoss Living connect system dies not currently feature a boiler interlock and is not currently being sold in the U.K. by Danfoss.
We expect to introduce the system to the U.K. market in October and when we do so it will feature a boiler interlock."

Plumbnation said:
"......As the product is not yet available in the market place I will have to issue a full refund. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused."
Bying lastards! Available from REPUTABLE places for around 30 nicker.

stock_on2.gif

Heating Controls Online

If I go for Danfoss I'l wait for the Connect... it's the Z-wave that makes it worth the extra for me.

Just noticed there is a Lightwave RF product out which has boiler interlock, web interface, etc...
Being Lightwave B&Q, Maplin, etc are starting to stock it:-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/lightwaverf...2LL&utm_content=LightwaveRF+-+Home+Automation

If it's reliable £30 per TRV is pretty good for full wireless operation...the system has PIR's, window sensors, Smartphone app, etc...

Sponsored Links
I'm still reading up on the Danfoss but the "Boiler Relay" does seem to be an interlock...
http://danfoss.ipapercms.dk/Heating/AutoGen/29716_32988/

as does the Hydronic
http://danfoss.ipapercms.dk/Heating/AutoGen/26278_28355/
Using that it appears you can set demand based on one room, or any number of rooms.
All docs for the systems here:-
http://heating.danfoss.com/xxTypex/318755_MNU17417833_SIT54.html

The Honeywell looks nice but Z-wave might just take the Danfoss to a new level. A Z-wave PIR in a room could turn up heating only when occupied for instance, and the ability to use a general purpose rather than a monolithic controller gives much richer web and other interface options.

14 radiators including controller with full web access for around £1K?....

How did you get on with the installation, did you use the Danfoss (Z-wave) solution, is there a boiler interlock?

The OP has not been on here for almost a year. Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

still never took this forward as there are reported issues with the z-wave compatibility of the Danfoss thermostats.

Latest from Danfoss is:-
"I regret that a decision has not been taken to introduce this product to the U.K. market.

We are not currently providing support for this product.

I recommend that you contact us again in 3 months time when the situation may have changed."

Sounds like formal UK release may be imminent- I'd hope so with devices like the Nest thermostat and Honeywell's WiFi thermostat starting to make inroads...

I bit the bullet last Xmas and treated myself to the Link CC together with the living connect rad valves & Boiler relay. I also fitted an in-line relay to my hot water controls. All in all I am well impressed with the system. All the rooms have different set back times, controlled locally or from the central controller. I experimented a bit as the default setting was for every trv, when demanding heat, to flash up the boiler. I have knocked it down to just a few critical rooms. I too was hoping for the Z-Wave compliant TRV but I liked the Controller so much I decided to go for it. Can't understand Danfoss' reluctance to support the product in the uk. They know it has a boiler interlock because the unit is manufactured here. I did ask them if they were waiting for an upgrade to an opentherm interlock similar to the one with evohome, but they steadfastly refuse to answer any questions, with the comment "we dont currently support this in the UK"
Mick

While it's picking up an old thread ...
How about the upgrade of the current Grunfos 15-50 fixed speed circulation pump on the Boilermate to a Grunfos Alpha variable?
Regardless of any energy savings, it'll give a vastly reduced system noise level and allow the bypass rad to be dispensed with. Then every rad can be individually controlled and the system can go down to zero load without the noise associated with a pump working hard against a bypass valve.
That's what I have in my rental flat, with a thermal store in the under-flat garage.

Just bought 2 Lightwaverf LW900 valves from B&Q and not having much success with them. Tried three different radiators of around 10 years vintage with 2 different makes of TRV and on every one the F1 error message immediately comes on for valve actuator sluggish. Why is this and does it meant that the valve will not be opening and closing? The motor did sound a bit strained. I don’t want to have to change the TRVs

One valve failed 10 mins after starting to use it and LCD is now blank. Judging by the fact that the package was not sealed I suspect a dodgy one had gone back on the shelf and been resold.

Will the new style Lightwaverf valves or the Peglers have more force to them to overcome stiff TRVs?

Thanks Simon.
My pump is starting to get noticeably more noisy so I think it's on its way out, I think I will add a Grundfos Alpha to the upgrade which finally looks as though it's going to happen this month.

I've pretty much given up on Danfoss although I notice that they've just updated their TRV's to overcome a compatibility issue with Vera http://autoho.me/1eRFBa0
If anyone's interested in continuing with Danfoss the HeatGenius system looks pretty a comprehensive controller without going all the way to programming a solution in Vera or similar. http://autoho.me/1gb4ri8

I'm now waiting on the update Honeywell Living Connect which is just giving me a much better feeling that it will work reliably and is better priced than their previous offerings. http://autoho.me/18NXi5H
Hopefully by the end of February...

While it's picking up an old thread ...
How about the upgrade of the current Grunfos 15-50 fixed speed circulation pump on the Boilermate to a Grunfos Alpha variable?
Regardless of any energy savings, it'll give a vastly reduced system noise level and allow the bypass rad to be dispensed with. Then every rad can be individually controlled and the system can go down to zero load without the noise associated with a pump working hard against a bypass valve.
That's what I have in my rental flat, with a thermal store in the under-flat garage.

Some interesting links there.
What bothers me about most options I've looked at is the "everything works through their servers" approach. So whoever you go with can build up a detailed knowledge of your activities. I'm sure there's no ulterior motive at all in Google spending billions buying Nest :rolleyes:

I did try to avoid hosted models but I'm less worried about Honeywell starting charging than other vendors.
Heat Genius will work NAT via firewall, etc but they're looking at moving to a "call home" hosted model where the controller will create an outbound connection to a website.

In fairness I can understand hosted models as figuring out port translations and firewall rules aren't everyone's cup of tea- "call home" is much easier to get a connection out the firewall!

Server via energy companies has got to be the ultimate model- being able to turn everyones heating off for 5 minutes whilst they make that mid-Corontation Street cup of tea is a much more efficient that having a few coal powered power stations sitting around on "simmer" for a few hours just to get by the peak. Just that one ability could probably knock millions off the national energy bill!

It's all about the Internet of Things!!!...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/13/cisco_chucks_100_million_dollars_at_internet_of_everything/

Some interesting links there.
What bothers me about most options I've looked at is the "everything works through their servers" approach. So whoever you go with can build up a detailed knowledge of your activities. I'm sure there's no ulterior motive at all in Google spending billions buying Nest :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back