Chaffoteaux et Maury Britony combi 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Britony combi 80 has started to stay on so the water is heating even though no tap is running. The repair guy took the cover off and it was all fine but when he put the cover back on it turned itself on again. He says I need a new boiler - is there no repair that could do it?

Sponsored Links
Dont quote me on this as i have not worked on many of these types but sounds as if the gas soloniod is stuck open.
These boilers as with several others are designed not to fire with the combustion cover off and this is maybe why the flame went out with the cover off.
If it is just the solonoid then it can be repaired and no boiler is unrepairable if you get the right guy and spares are available. It then just a case of is it worth throwing money at?

:eek: Get a different repair guy, or BG in on a fixed price repair.

New boiler, what a load of ******** :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
thank you both, a friend has recommended another repair guy to give me a quote as he has fixed her boiler a few times and its the same as mine.
I felt like I was being taken for a ride and had almost decided that I could live with switching it on and off at the electrics each time I needed water. That or not washing at all.................. :D

Very common fault is the DHW flowswitch sticking on. Boiler will fire up every so often. Disconnect the wiring connector to it to confirm. Part about £25.00 easy diy job. Also selector knob can break so turning it doen't rotate the spindle.

Are either very expensive to get fixed? I'm thinking I may have to sell my children to pay for this....

Very common fault is the DHW flowswitch sticking on. Boiler will fire up every so often. Disconnect the wiring connector to it to confirm. Part about £25.00 easy diy job. Also selector knob can break so turning it doen't rotate the spindle.

As above, 20-30 mins work at most. Assuming it's that of course...

A big thank you to everyone who responded, had a new engineer call out today who replaced the flow switch and got all back working again. £103 including the call out and guaranteed for 12 months, a lot less than a new boiler and I don't have to sell the kids!!
I don't think I would have got this if I hadn't had the advice from everyone who responded. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back