chain saws

i have some trees that could do with felling (only about 10feet tall) i am saving up to get it done, to pay some one else who knows what they are doing costs a lot but the person and i both live.

Sponsored Links
same as breezer. i would rather pay a bloke to do chainsaw work for me rather than tackle it myself.

a good friend of mine is a 'tree technician' and he reduced a 35' scotts pine in my back garden to matchwood in a couple of hours.
it was awesome to watch him work. using the ropes and harnesses and a very small bar chainsaw, he made it look very easy.
as Thermo says, he was always aware of the sharpness of his chainsaw tips and would frequently check or sharpen any that required it.

Where I live in Germany (Black Forest) residents can apply for a piece of forestry land after the main loggers have been through, so they can cut firewood. All applicants for this land must have passed an approved course in chainsaw operation and maintainance. If you're going to use one, please do a course. Chainsaws cut like sharks bite. You'll only ever make a mistake with a chainsaw once. This may sound dramatic but I've seen the results.... Kev....

Heed all the advice given - chainsaws are nasty bits of kit. You never know what is in a piece of wood that you are cutting. Old nails; war time shrapnel or just some very wet or sappy wood that will make saws kick back. A days course (preferably more) and all safety gear as a minimum. Rarely do I agree with todays safety paranoia but its not paranoia with chainsaws its common sense to protect your life.

Sponsored Links
working with chainsaw is piece of pi##, when i used to do work in loghouse trade, then on hot summer days we just weared shorts and slippers. of course there is danger, but u have to know what u are doing

I bought a JCB 40" C/Saw from Index in 2002 for £120. Used it heavily pretty well every weekend over the course of 4 winters. Cut shed loads of logs for mum and neighbours. It never missed a beat.

Only problem the JCB saw was prone to was a clogged chain-oil aperture. No oil = heat through friction. Chain bar expanded and motor would stall. Keep it maintained - no probs.

I did wear the very kinky chainsaw pants as well as boots, gloves, helmet (+ goggles!) and ear defenders. Never once had an accident and, IMO, didn't need to wear all the kit (still do, mind). Guess I was just lucky. :confused:

Only CS related injury I did pick up was a nasty cut to my finger when i was sharpening the Blades! :oops:

Never went on a course but a neighbour taught me how to use the saw safely. What I did learn and pick up from using the saw was:

Be sensible, respect the saw, Keep control of it at all times (both hands) and ALWAYS be aware of what's going on around you. Carefully inspect each piece before cutting and watch out for overhead cables/rotten branches that might fall on you/people or animals in your drop zone. Know your limitations.

Nothing wrong with a chain saw. I was scared of them until I had to get one. More chance of hurting yourself with a cheep mitre saw.

Hi,

Must say that I am considering oner of these EVIL tools that sell by the millions.

Has ANYONE on here witnessed the aftermath of an accident?

I realise that IF it happened it'd be nasty but so too is crashing my Motorbike and that wasn't as bad as all that.

I have just had professionally sharpened the two blades (£5.00 each) that I have for my Black & decker 12" which I intend to use for a small job or two around my land but if it doesn't do what I expect will go get a petrol one and gloves & steel toe-caps will be all I will use.

As long as you are standing on level ground and braced for any kickback, I cannot see that this is likely to be a DANGEROUS task in 99 out of 100 cases.

hi, my grandfather almost died(bleed to death), but that was long time ago when there wasn't any safety features with saws. still, now everything is safer, but u shouldn't use it alone, it's good if there is someone else with u, so if something goes wrong they can help or call help and u don't DIE(hahaha).safety trousers would be a good idea anyway, bit uncomfy, but can save life.

wanabechippie said:
I did wear the very kinky chainsaw pants as well as boots, gloves, helmet (+ goggles!) and ear defenders. Never once had an accident and, IMO, didn't need to wear all the kit (still do, mind). Guess I was just lucky. :confused:

Only CS related injury I did pick up was a nasty cut to my finger when i was sharpening the Blades! :oops:

Never went on a course but a neighbour taught me how to use the saw safely. What I did learn and pick up from using the saw was:

Be sensible, respect the saw, Keep control of it at all times (both hands) and ALWAYS be aware of what's going on around you. Carefully inspect each piece before cutting and watch out for overhead cables/rotten branches that might fall on you/people or animals in your drop zone. Know your limitations.

The safety gear is the LAST thing you should rely on as stated above.

The trousers are ballistic nylon and jam the chain before it gets to a leg.

Anyone standing near should be 30 feet away at least.

What about a hand saw? If you work with green wood, they can be surprisingly quick.

If a chainsaw kicks back, it is equivalent to trying to stop a moped with your hands. Are you up to it?

I have seen some very silly things done with chainsaws, best find a roadkill (badger, fox, deer, etc) and slice through it with the chainsaw, then you can work out what to do if it happens to you.

If you really want one then i'd look no further than a Sthil. I have a petrol Sthil hedgecutter and the engineering is breathtaking.

rizla01 wrote

Has ANYONE on here witnessed the aftermath of an accident?

Yep. My cousin was operating a chainsaw when the chain snapped and whiplashed straight down his face.
His nose was ripped open to the bone and his forehead was slashed so deeply that a large portion of bone was removed from his skull permanetly.
To this day he remains badly scarred.
He only survived by making his way across several fields to his home where he collapsed (and the alarm was raised) in a small pool of what was left of his dwindling supply of blood. :(

when I was a lad our next door nieghbour lopped his head off with his chain saw.

he was perched on a step ladder with a monster of a chain saw trying to cut a beech tree (if memory serves) apparently he had the chain saw above his head in one hand the other hand hold the ladder.

the thing kicked back and took off half his shoulder and his noggin.

I remember, being about 8 or 9 at the time, a lot of claret all over his lawn and our fence and his daughter sobbing in the corner of our lounge, mum took the poor little mite in so as her mum could do the do with the plod etc..

Poor little thing found him as she and her mum had just got back from school as she made a bee line for the back garden.

Shiver, poor poor thing.

I hate chainsaws I do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back