Chainsaw oil pump issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - looking for some help on why my chain isn't getting oil. It's a cheap "Gardenline" chainsaw from Aldi (pictured below)

I've replaced the pump; I've disconnected and blown through both pipes to confirm they're not blocked (mmm, tasty), I've checked the inlet pipe inside the oil tank is not pointing up into fresh air etc...

The plastic threaded worm-screw part appears to be ok - threads engage the wheel in the pump.

I've tried running without the bar on - no oil emerging from the slot.

I've even tried taking off the oil line which comes out the top of the pump, and running the saw again (with the clutch on, but the cover off) and there's still no sign of oil coming out of the pump.

Does the pump need primed or something?

Any help appreciated before the weekend as we have some tree-work planned :)

pump.jpeg

Screenshot_20220927_151302.png

Sponsored Links
Yes, pretty certain it is -- the back of the clutch drum, which has the teeth for the chain, also turns the plastic wheel. It fits fine - nothing looks out of shape.
The threads on the back of that wheel, which in turn rotate a wheel in the pump, look ok too - and seem to engage ok on that side. Once it's installed though, you can't see inside the pump to be 100% certain that it's turning.

Sponsored Links
I think these pumps have an oil delivery screw at the bottom, and it can only turn 90 degrees if I recall. Make sure it’s fully anti-clockwise, but don’t overdo it!
I’d also disconnect the pump but leave the pipes connected, and see if spinning it manually gives any oil delivery.
John

I’d also try running a thin oil through.....ordinary oil thinned with diesel or whatever just in case the pump can’t self prime for any reason.
John

Thanks John, I'll try thinning the oil later. I did already try the first suggestion, but the new pump is almost too stiff turn with a greasy finger.

That's interesting - I've just got one of these out of stock:
The gear is very easy to spin - admittedly, there isn't any oil in it though.
John :)

Interesting. The old one spins fairly easily. I'm hoping the new one loosens up a little with use. Or maybe it's been badly manufactured.

I’d also try running a thin oil through.....ordinary oil thinned with diesel or whatever just in case the pump can’t self prime for any reason.
John
Yes John - oil thinned, pump primed and it started working fine! Chain looks way better now it's coated again.
Thanks

Nice one! Pleased you’re sorted. Chain bar oil is often vegetable base which means that clogging isn’t unknown either.
Cut safe
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back