Chandelier installation

No but can get one if needed what would I have to do tmrw

Sponsored Links
You will try and find the wires to the switch without electrocuting yourself :) if you feel confident.
Keep your eye also to the other Linked post for guidance as it is relevant to you, however he has one cable marked in the normal standard way, whereas your taped wire may mean something else, we dont know.

Though please only ask further questions on this thread please, or else it gets complicated for the other poster and should also then work out easier for you, but please take in what is posted there as it is relevant.

How would I do that mate ok I’ll make sure to ask on this thread. Can I not just put 3 of them in one hole ? As in 3 earths in the earth 3 lives in the live and 3 neutrals

How would I do that mate ok I’ll make sure to ask on this thread. Can I not just put 3 of them in one hole ? As in 3 earths in the earth 3 lives in the live and 3 neutrals

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! This would probably result in a direct short-circuit across the mains, cause the MCB or fuse to operate when you try to switch the light on and possibly cause damage to the switch. You need to identify which of those three cables in the drop to the switch.

Sponsored Links
Some times the only option is to switch off mains and test with a meter.

So standard three cables, one feed, one to switch, and one to next lamp. So with power off, multi meter or buzzer on the two wires of each cable, and flick the switch, one cable will turn buzzer or meter on ohms range on/off, so you now know the switch cable.

There are no short cuts.

Also, you are going to need a fourth terminal to connect the three live wires to - the lamp itself only has provision for Earth, Neutral and Switched Live. You need another terminal to link the three un-switched live cores (loop-in, loop-out & switch feed). There looks to be plenty of room inside the fitting for a single way terminal block similar to the three way one provided.

How would I add another terminal or could I use a junction box ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back