Change Bulb Bathroom Downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody,

I am having trouble changing a light bulb in my bathroom. The bulb is housed in a white tube within the ceiling. I can pull the housing down freely about an inch but i can't access the top of it. I can't see how long it is.

I've tried to unscrew the metal rim and glass but without luck. I can't see any clips to detach the bulb.

Has anyone come across these before? I might be able to pull the housing down further, if i pull harder, or put a bit more effort into trying to unscrew the rim, but i don't want to do something incorrectly.

Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the type where the chrome bezel unscrews but they could just be a bit stuck. You shouldn't have to remove the complete fitting to change the bulb anyway.

Some screw on, some are bayonet style , some just held by springs or a push fit.Trial and error will reveal method. ;)

Any further ideas on this? Got the same at mine. Can't work out whether to try and pull the light further out or try to further unscrew the rim. It does seem to unscrew to a point but then can turn no further.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure they are not LED's. LED's are not usually replaceable, unless LED were fitted as replacements for incandescent bulbs.

Idea with LED, is you replace the entire fitting.

Are you sure they are not LED's. LED's are not usually replaceable, unless LED were fitted as replacements for incandescent bulbs.

Idea with LED, is you replace the entire fitting.
Don’t know where you got that idea , leds bulbs widely available and replaceable .

Any further ideas on this? Got the same at mine. Can't work out whether to try and pull the light further out or try to further unscrew the rim. It does seem to unscrew to a point but then can turn no further.
Rim usually just 1/8 turn then pull, often stiff , sometimes you end up removing fitting to free everything up.

Don’t know where you got that idea , leds bulbs widely available and replaceable .

You are a bit behind the times....
Not if the fitting is built with the LED integral to the fitting they are not, as many are now - especially so downlighters.

Intergral type are not new, cheap option, often poor quality.

I will say you are wrong. All of the large commercial units are integral, no reason for them not to be, when they last so long and can be much more compact.

The direct replacements LED's for incandescents, were only ever a stop gap measure to make it easy to upgrade old fittings to LED's.

Son in law used inter gram fittings 5 years ago , most failed within a couple of years and was forced to replace all as models change so rapidly could not buy the same .I have had my led g10 in my spots for 5 years and only one failure to date which just required a simple bulb change .

Son in law used inter gram fittings 5 years ago , most failed within a couple of years and was forced to replace all as models change so rapidly could not buy the same .I have had my led g10 in my spots for 5 years and only one failure to date which just required a simple bulb change .

That is why you buy spares. In my kitchen I bought enough for the job, plus as many again as spares. That was four years ago and I have had none fail so far.

So cost you twice what it normally would .Great economy !

Not really, the entire fittings cost not much more than bare LED lamps and the entire fittings take but a moment to swap out, quicker and easier than changing a lamp..

They replaced incandescents, which were expensive lamps to replace, expensive to run and regularly failed needing replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back